Septic Filter Clogs Frequently

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBH21

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can help with my septic issue.

We installed a brand-new septic system in 2017. The first couple of years we only lived in the house on average 2-3 days a week and 4-5 days a week during the summer. During this time we never had any problems. In Jan 2020 we installed a new water softener system that was discharging into the septic tank. Once the pandemic started four of us were living in the house full time. In April 2020 we noticed the tank was overflowing into the yard. We had the tank inspected and found the filter was clogged. With a clean filter the effluent drained off into the septic field just as it should. However, about every three weeks the filter kept getting clogged.

In late September 2020 we had the manufactures rep from Infiltrator come and inspect the tank as it was being pumped. He said the tank had been installed properly and the baffles were in good working order so he ruled out any issues with the tank itself. For the next 8 months we had no problems. About half of this time only two us were living here full time. Our kids came home a month ago and now there has been 3-4 of us here full time. Yesterday I noticed the tank was overflowing again and sure enough the filter was clogged.
  • We have a food disposal but are very careful about letting any food go down the drain.
  • We regularly separate any oil/grease from entering the septic tank (Im sure some residual does make its way into the tank).
  • We have also re-routed the water softener discharge so that it no longer enters the tank.
  • We wash clothes daily.
  • We run the dishwasher about every two days
  • We don’t put any harsh chemicals down the train.
I am at a loss for what to do next or why this has all of a sudden started up again. If anyone has any experience with this type of issue I would appreciate any advice.

Sounds like too much toilet paper along with too much water. The system may be too small for your application.

The filter may just be doing it’s job. You say it’s all installed properly....

My filter hasn’t been cleaned in 3 yrs, family of 4.

Sounds like too much toilet paper along with too much water. The system may be too small for your application.

Thanks for the reply, the tank is an IM-1060 Infiltrator with a 1200 gallon capacity. I have had the health inspector, the manufactures rep as well as the installer look at the system and none of them see anything wrong and cant seem to find the issue. Not sure what my next move is.

Thanks for the reply, the tank is an IM-1060 Infiltrator with a 1200 gallon capacity. I have had the health inspector, the manufactures rep as well as the installer look at the system and none of them see anything wrong and cant seem to find the issue. Not sure what my next move is.

If it’s not the system then it’s you...... change your habits.

Depending on the brand of filter. They are designed for so many gallons per day .I have filters from vegetarians or people with high fibre clog faster. Taking softener off tank was an excellent idea, They can stain and ruin filter and bad for leachfield. It is discouraged in my state to put softener into septic. Drywell recommended for softener discharge .I had a customer with filter trouble .We removed the four inch filter and baffle. Installed a six inch filter and baffle that was designed to glue onto four inch pipe .So far its seemed to last longer between cleanings. A gas deflector on bottom of baffle may help or hurt filter operation....I have also had to service tanks more often from pandemic .People staying home from work and school.

Latest posts

Back