Septic connection for upflush toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcharkowski

Reaction score
Not sure if this should go in the toilet forum, but here goes...

I'm getting ready to finish my basement and will be installing an upflush toilet (likely a Saniflo). Because of the location of the bathroom, the line will be run toward the current beginning of the septic line. The way it was plumbed, there's a cleanout at the very beginning next to the first drain coming in, which comes from a wye connected to my kitchen sink. Should I 1)cut into the septic line further down and use nohub connectors to install a wye to go to the saniflo? Or 2) do I try to cut off the cleanout on the end, use a rambit to clean out the connection, extend it with a new wye for the saniflo, and install a new cleanout on the extended end? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm no plumber, but am reasonably handy. Picture attached for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
You could take the plug out and put a threaded male adaptor in. And then a wye standing straight up and then another
clean out on the end. You can reduce the wye down on top to your saniflow drain size. Read your manual good as it
tells you exactly how they want it hooked up.

You could take the plug out and put a threaded male adaptor in. And then a wye standing straight up and then another
clean out on the end. You can reduce the wye down on top to your saniflow drain size. Read your manual good as it
tells you exactly how they want it hooked up.

That was my original idea, but I was told by a contractor that utilizing a male threaded adapter into the cleanout's female receptacle was "not up to code". I don't see why, but then again, most code doesn't make sense to me, so I didn't argue :). It certainly would be a lot easier utilizing the cleanout vs. sawing it off and reaming out the receptacle - less opportunity for massive, unrecoverable failure, too.

Thanks for the reply!

Is there going to be a sink, or raised shower, draining into the Saniflo tank?

If not, I would give a few occasional extra flushes with just water, to move the waste along.

Since you are at the start of the drain.

Frodo,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was planning to put in a wye, as you have depicted at the top of your diagram. I could see, though, how a lot of people might think they could go right into the cleanout since the saniflo is pushing the waste (i.e. not relying on gravity). I appreciate you folks looking out for newbies like myself.

HOLD UP.

The pump discharge has to discharge into a wye fitting that is pointed up.
it can not connect to the clean out.
View attachment 26001

Latest posts

Back