Septic and Drainage issue (water above tank)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadeye316

Reaction score
I live in Upstate NY. To have a natural drain we put in about 8k in sand and dirt. I have a septic system with a 1000 gallon tank and leach field. The house is about 5 years old. After 3 years we had a child and that spring we noticed water above the septic. The person that did my septic came and shoveled about 8 feet to the right of the tank and into the box (exchange box i believe). Water pooled before he could even reach it. I called a septic company and they came and pumped the tank. They know the person that did my system and said he is one of the best around. They pumped the tank out twice within 2 weeks. I still got water above the septic. They noticed water tricking in and all 3 of my toilets were leaking. I fixed them and he said it would take some time for my system to recover. The next year spring when the snow melts same thing. THe guy who did my septic came and said i am getting alot of surface water from my neighbors so this december he put in a French drain fairly inexpensive. He said it will take about a year again for my leach field to recover. Once again snows melting water above my tank. I went to where the french drain pipe goes and there is a huge amount of water coming out of it. So it seems like it is working to a point. Acouple things I noticed is that the pipe from the house to the septic there is no snow above it. I also changed my washer for a HE. I dont get any smell and the water that comes out is clear.

Do you think with the warm water going in its melting the snow?

Is there anything else i can look for? I brought up a crushed pipe, natural spring anything...

I only have about a inch of dirt above my tank should i put more.

I was thinking about having the septic place put a camera through to check everything. Any clue how much that costs.

A couple more things the water comes up from the tank and then does go back down. I also have a hard water system that goes into my septic. Culligan, a plumber and the septic guy doesnt see a problem in it.

Latest posts

Back