Septic "air" pipes with dirt

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomasv

Reaction score
Hi, I am sorry for a newbie question - we just purchased a house with a septic system, our first. There was a septic inspection as part fo the sale, but when I checked all of the pipes sticking out from the backyard they are full of dirt. So 2 questions please:

What is the difference between the pipes with the white cover - looks like "air" pipes and the once with the green cover that says "sewer? (the green once are only on one side of the property, 4 of them, next to the white covered once. Other side of the property has only 4 of the white cover once. The septic tank covers are in the middle between the 2 sides

1. Is it normal to have BOTH of them full of dirt? Seems strange to me.
  2. Do I need an easy access to these or can I cut them down so I can put grass over them as long as I make a drawing with measurements so I can find them later?

Thanks for your help!

2020-03-28 11.38.34.jpg2020-03-28 11.38.13.jpg2020-03-28 11.38.09.jpg

You may want to look up the person who did the inspection and ask them.

I tried to contact them, no reply. Perhaps due to all small business mandatory shut down. House was purchased in Dec - the yard was covered with snow, only now I realized we got into a pickle as the previous owner does not want to communicate with us. :rolleyes:

well hopefully someone totally familiar with types of septic systems will chime in.

Maybe you can get a septic pumping company to help out

You could try contacting the realtor that you bought it through, they will sometimes act as a moderator between the parties. Does the sewer system seem to be working OK? Does it have a lift station that is pumping out regularly?

Green boxes are fresh water valve boxes. Either for irrigation or main water supply. The white pipe is more for drain. But yeah I agree up above. Pay a service fee to a septic company and let them tell you.

Back