Septic "air" pipes with dirt

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

tomasv

Reaction score
Hi, I am sorry for a newbie question - we just purchased a house with a septic system, our first. There was a septic inspection as part fo the sale, but when I checked all of the pipes sticking out from the backyard they are full of dirt. So 2 questions please:

What is the difference between the pipes with the white cover - looks like "air" pipes and the once with the green cover that says "sewer? (the green once are only on one side of the property, 4 of them, next to the white covered once. Other side of the property has only 4 of the white cover once. The septic tank covers are in the middle between the 2 sides

1. Is it normal to have BOTH of them full of dirt? Seems strange to me.
  2. Do I need an easy access to these or can I cut them down so I can put grass over them as long as I make a drawing with measurements so I can find them later?

Thanks for your help!

2020-03-28 11.38.34.jpg2020-03-28 11.38.13.jpg2020-03-28 11.38.09.jpg

tomasv

Reaction score
You may want to look up the person who did the inspection and ask them.
I tried to contact them, no reply. Perhaps due to all small business mandatory shut down. House was purchased in Dec - the yard was covered with snow, only now I realized we got into a pickle as the previous owner does not want to communicate with us. :rolleyes:

Diehard

Reaction score
well hopefully someone totally familiar with types of septic systems will chime in.

Maybe you can get a septic pumping company to help out

RS

Reaction score
You could try contacting the realtor that you bought it through, they will sometimes act as a moderator between the parties. Does the sewer system seem to be working OK? Does it have a lift station that is pumping out regularly?

Jamesplumbing06

Reaction score
Green boxes are fresh water valve boxes. Either for irrigation or main water supply. The white pipe is more for drain. But yeah I agree up above. Pay a service fee to a septic company and let them tell you.