Septic absorption field question.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsgone

Reaction score
Hi, I am buying a new house and the inspector probed the absorption field with a bar and found water about 10 or so inches from the service. He told me this was a problem. A septic guy was sent and said there was nothing wrong. My question is if there is water found 10” from the surface is there a problem.
Thanks scott

I just had my septic system installed using a sand filter , if I found water 10” under the surface , I would have a huge problem because the sand filter is 6 ft deep of various size stone and sand . Water , 10” down does not sound like a good situation. Better to know this now so you can negotiate a fix into the purchase price or walk away.

Not good. Poses questions. Whats the ground water level? Is the system currently under heavy loading? Clay soil under the hopefully engineered field?

thanks, only 2 people in the home. i will have four. The inspector ran the water on and off for some hours while looking through the home. Then check the field where i saw water and about 12" in 3 holes in a 4 ft circle. Sounds like a broken pipe joint to me. Thanks for your help

I recommend you talk to either the public agency which regulates septic systems, or a Professional Engineer, who regularly deals with septic system designs.

Typically if water from the septic system is that close to the surface it would be a problem.

But, isn’t always. I designed a system last year, where there is a layer of benonitic clay soils from two to five feet, and well draining gravels below that. So the septic system I designed at 7-ft of bury, is functioning fine, when we check it through the witness pipes installed at the ends of the galleries. But after a rain storm the soils immediately above the bentonite layer are saturated.

Back