Selecting new lavatory sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanne

Reaction score
So, I've mentioned I have a super ugly green sink in the master bathroom. When I measured it seemed to be about 18-7/8".
1639205365813.png

I'll have to find a better pic at some point, but it's ugly. There is a slight curve to the flat part at the back of the sink. It looked like the measurement was between 18-7/8 to 18-15/16 or possibly 19". Had trouble measuring with the bevel. I believe this is a cast iron sink covered in green glazed porcelain. The green always makes it look dirty even when it's clean (which it was not in this picture). I tried to measure the depth of the sink from the rim to the lowest point in the bowl and it came out somewhere around 5-3/4" deep or so But there is an overflow at the front of the sink and the front of the bowl slopes upward so I don't know overflow depth. I have trouble seeing the lines on the measuring tape so I'm ballparking on this. I forgot to get inside measurements because my back was hurting leaning down to measure this low. I will try to get those later.

The faucet has since been replaced with a Moen Caldwell that has a 4-3/4" spout reach. It pours directly over the drain of the existing sink.

The ultimate goal is to raise the countertop up about 4" (using 2x4s & furring strips). We will also be recovering the counter with a different laminate that doesn't have green in it. There is a possibility we might replace the entire countertop if there are problems, but I'd like to re-use this one if possible. The countertop is 72-1/8" wide and 24" deep. We want to go with a white sink and keep a similar shape/size.

I was thinking of getting a cheap $40 sink but reviews were terrible & they said things like the holes were drilled crooked so sink didn't align properly, etc. I don't want to go with super cheap crappy kind but I don't want to go super expensive either. So, I'm looking at some sinks under $100.

Right now I have two options I'm considering: The Sterling Modesto and the Kohler Bryant. I know both are really the same company.

Sterling Modesto 19" round, inside bowl width 15-3/4" length 12-5/8". Water depth (from overflow) 4-7/8. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterling-Modesto-19-in-Drop-In-Bathroom-Sink-in-White-441904-0/31862145

Kohler Bryant 18.875" roud, inside bowl width 16-5/16" length 12-1/2", water depth (from overflow 5-5/8) Needs 5" long reach on faucet spout. https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Bryant-White-Drop-In-Round-Bathroom-Sink-with-Overflow-Drain/4776409

I was leaning toward the Bryant because it seemed to have a deeper soaking depth and seems closer to the size of the existing one. It fit in my Sketchup model rather nicely. Couldn't find a model of the Modesto but that is not a big deal.
1639207401810.png
Not the final colors, just wanted to spice it up in Sketchup. Might do the applique to match the cabinets-- it's only there to break up the ugly empty space.

Now, I know it says it needs 5" reach but I'm wondering if the existing faucet would still work. If not, worst case I could swap it out with the faucet meant for the guest bathroom (a Delta Porter faucet).

The Modesto specs did not indicate positioning of the holes (Bryant said they are 2-11/16" from the back edge) and did not specify faucet reach.

So, any thoughts/suggestions? I would like as deep of a basin as I can get without going farmhouse sink style & stick as close to the overall size of the existing sink. I can make the hole larger if need be. I can fill in to make it smaller also (or replace the countertop).

Yeah, I'm trying to get the right shape and depth is the issue. The existing one is actually fairly deep (over 5") and I'm seeing a lot of very shallow sinks and ones that have terrible reviews for quality. Cheapest I saw was $39 and it had reviews about inconsistencies in hole alignment, crooked holes (like some farther back than others so it mounted weird), easily chipping just taking it out of the box, etc. I want to get something decent quality. My mother is super picky-- If something arrives with a spec of dirt on it she will lose her damn mind. It has to be flawless or she will be super angry at me (bc somehow I'm responsible for mfr's mistakes). LOL.

We usually use Gerber or ProFlo standard 19” white china sinks. They seem good quality to me.

Proflo is a good brand? I think I saw one. My lavs are cast iron coated in porcelain. Old ones from 60s or 70s. Probably 70s on the green one, but might even be from the 50s since the addition to the house was done Feb 1947 according to markings on a beam under the house.

Zanne, did you get your toilet and floor put in and done that you were working on. If so show us some pictures.

Proflo is a good brand? I think I saw one. My lavs are cast iron coated in porcelain. Old ones from 60s or 70s. Probably 70s on the green one, but might even be from the 50s since the addition to the house was done Feb 1947 according to markings on a beam under the house.
it is Ferguson’s house brand. We haven’t had many issues, and if we do we just return it for a new one.

Dude, you need to DE clutter.
Oh, I know. The only thing I put up there was the laundry soap bc I was having to wash stuff in the sink when the washing machine wasn't working. Rest of it is my mother & brother's stuff. I keep my stuff on a shelf and in the cabinet. It's even worse now. I don't know who owns what in there but I'll let my brother and mother sort their crap out.
We do have a hoarder type situation going on though. Mom always cluttered things up so we've always lived with tons of clutter. My bathroom isn't any better right now-- need to go through and get rid of stuff that has been sitting for decades.
it is Ferguson’s house brand. We haven’t had many issues, and if we do we just return it for a new one.
Ah. I tried to register to be able to buy stuff from Ferguson but it wouldn't let me. Site wanted me to be a "pro" and redirected me to build.com instead. I should gripe to my cousin about it because he's the one who made their website. LOL. But I don't think he works for them anymore. If Ferguson has actual offline stores there aren't any in my area.
Zanne, did you get your toilet and floor put in and done that you were working on. If so show us some pictures.
Alas, still procrastinating. Other things keep coming up & my back is not cooperating. Been having trouble moving and bending. Flooring guys said putting down luan over the leveling mix was no bueno so I will simply try to add more mix and smooth it out as best as I can. Having a hard time finding some of the stuff I want. Frodo sent me a link to a good closet flange (mine is cracked) but it was at Ferguson so it wouldn't let me buy it. I'll keep looking. He said I need a flange without a bevel so it can sit flat on top of the finished floor.

What do you guys think of this sink?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JEPE8K/PROFLO PF194RWH

It has about the right shape. It's also available on Build for the same price (might be able to get a coupon). Wonder if ordering from build would be better. Do they have a good return policy?

I know I need to work on my bathroom floor, but I'm worried prices on stuff will go up even more so I want to order things before that happens. I saw there's also an American Standard sink but I don't know if I can trust their quality.

Another option is Toto Reliance TOTO LT502.4#01 Reliance Commercial 19" Drop In | Build.com
or Amazon.com

Cotton is the same color as the toilets.

It's more expensive but it has a larger basin. Not sure if it's worth the higher price though.

As an update, we ended up getting the Toto Reliance because Build.com had it on sale. Man, did they pack it protectively to make sure it wouldn't get damaged. Big box with thick foam corner pieces to hold the box with the sink floating inside with all sorts of foam around the sink.
Once I get my bathroom fixed up enough to be usable or if I can temporarily set a sink on boards while taking out the countertop (which needs to be raised higher bc it is waaay too low). Frodo said to build a box with some 2x4s to raise the counter up. I got new formica for it but am very worried about messing up the installation.

Is there anything as strong as contact cement that has a little bit of time/room for error if something needs to be moved/adjusted? Even something heat activated would be good. I'm terrible about getting things on straight. All of my cassette & VHS tapes have crooked labels because of it.

Back