Sediment in hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfolk72

Reaction score
I am getting a rusty looking (reddish-brown) fine sediment that settles in a glass, the shower, bath tub, etc. when running the hot water. I tried flushing the hot water heater and will be trying again. Could this be sign of anodes needing replacement? Bad water heater? Cold water is no issue. I purchased the house earlier this year so im working to see how old the heater is (Bock 32E)

See images below.
Img-683: recently running dish washer, bottom of cup
Img-617: While flushing out heater
Img-063: Prior to flushing , hot water in bath tub

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-0683.jpg
    IMG-0683.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG-0617.JPG
    IMG-0617.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-0063.JPG
    IMG-0063.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
You’re most likely getting sediment from the bottom of the tank if you’re making long draws of hot water to fill that large tub.
Once it gets stirred up it’ll stay that way and come out when making small draws like filling a glass or a short shower.

You’re most likely getting sediment from the bottom of the tank if you’re making long draws of hot water to fill that large tub.
Once it gets stirred up it’ll stay that way and come out when making small draws like filling a glass or a short shower.
If that is the case, is there a remedy? Just keep draining and flushing?

You could try that but it may never clear up.

Let TomFOhio direct you regarding the softener and possible problems with those systems.

So your saying that your water softener is not tied into your water heater anyplace. Is your hot water softened?

Perhaps the water heater was bypassed due to the issues of odor from the anode, but that would mean that hard water would build up in the water heater.

I ran into a problem where steel fittings had been installed in a water supply line to and from the water heater at one time that did something similar.

So your saying that your water softener is not tied into your water heater anyplace. Is your hot water softened?
No , it is, sorry for confusion. The water heater is downstream of the water softener system. Water comes in from the well, goes through the filter and softener, then to the water heater and out to the house.

Ok, not sure if you have the same problem or not but I have seen where the resin in the water softener will let loose
and get into the water. Can you temporarily bypass the softener and then check in a few days.

Ok, not sure if you have the same problem or not but I have seen where the resin in the water softener will let loose
and get into the water. Can you temporarily bypass the softener and then check in a few days.
Yes I can, I can try that. Thanks

Assuming you don't get this sediment in the cold water, I'd think the debris must be from the water heater or somewhere downstream from it. I had the same thing happen when the anode rod was completely dissolved and the interior metal (steel?) of the rod rusted.

Latest posts

Back