Second Floor Apartment Plumbing Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosaM

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a second floor condo in New Jersey. The building was built in 1920 as a factory and was then converted into apartment building in the late 90's or 2000. It's a pretty large building with 12 stories and more than 200 condo units. The ground floor has some condo units, common areas like gym, and a coffee shop. I heard that, in general, second floor condos tend to have more plumbing issues compared to condos on higher floor. For example, black water and sewage will come out from the toilet or sink when the main pipeline is clogged. I heard that it is because a lot of pipe lines are connected and passed through on the second floor. So when the lines are clogged, dirty water will backup into second floor condo units. Is this true? I'm really worried about that sewage might flood into my apartment and not sure if I still want to purchase this condo. Please advise.

Thank you.

It all depends on how the building was laid out
in most high rise or multi story buildings.
the main lines are run up in the elevator chase and branch out on each floor from that point

If I were you, i would have a serious talk with a lawyer on how you can protect your self from other tenants
plumbing problems, put the realtor on notice also.

it also depends on how the other occupants treat(use)their plumbing system we have many high rise building were I work some as high as 22 stories in 2 cases I removed small 2 by 3s from the drain....in another case we had TONS of rice in the drain for the most part its gonna be a result of what the other tenants put down the drain...(wet wipes,grease, rice,potatos,any skins or peels rubber cleaning gloves,(2by3s was union stupity)

There's always some risk involved.
Maybe talk to all the lower level owners.
Find out if there is a plumbing company that typically takes care of the building. Or even a number of plumbing companies that you may be able to discuss it with them.

It all depends on how the building was laid out
in most high rise or multi story buildings.
the main lines are run up in the elevator chase and branch out on each floor from that point

If I were you, i would have a serious talk with a lawyer on how you can protect your self from other tenants
plumbing problems, put the realtor on notice also.
I'm thinking about buying a second floor condo in New Jersey. The building was built in 1920 as a factory and was then converted into apartment building in the late 90's or 2000. It's a pretty large building with 12 stories and more than 200 condo units. The ground floor has some condo units, common areas like gym, and a coffee shop. I heard that, in general, second floor condos tend to have more plumbing issues compared to condos on higher floor. For example, black water and sewage will come out from the toilet or sink when the main pipeline is clogged. I heard that it is because a lot of pipe lines are connected and passed through on the second floor. So when the lines are clogged, dirty water will backup into second floor condo units. Is this true? I'm really worried about that sewage might flood into my apartment and not sure if I still want to purchase this condo. Please advise.

Thank you.
I just re read your post so if its a condo condo complex there must be a board of trustees or directors they must have a budget for maintenance,just like roofs,siding,drains need maintenance also there must be a plumbing/drain cleaning co that could set up a maintenance program...once the initial cleaning is done it would be an annual cleaning
and this is only the main drains that connect to all of the apt branch drains.....if there is a stoppage in a condo it would be the condo owners responsibility ...cleaning of the main drains could fall under building maintenance...

Back