Scum in Pump Tank and clogs my filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterriley84

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with this...

I've been in this house now for about 2 years. The previous owner converted from a conventional septic setup to an aerobic setup. Everything goes down the drain and to the original "trash tank".

It has a lift station and pumps to an aeration tank, which has a tee from there into a pump tank.

Now, we have a pool as well and are only on a 1/2 acre lot, so the previous owner opted for an underground drip irrigation system instead of sprinklers. So, a metal screen spin filter was added between the pump tank pump and the drip irrigation system. I'm constantly fighting scum, not sludge, in the final pump tank. It constantly clogs up the filter and the metal filter at the bottom of the pump itself. This causes the tank to overflow under the lid and onto the ground and the alarm to sound.

Any ideas why I have scum in there? Any idea on how to get rid of it? Are we overloading the system with water from the washing machine, etc?? Is something broken?

I had the septic pumping company out the other day and he said, "Oh yeah, I remember this place!! We used to come out here ALL the time." SMH....

Any ideas are appreciated!!

Back