Sand coming out from tub drain...

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by mikeawesome, Mar 13, 2011.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 13, 2011 #1

mikeawesome

mikeawesome

mikeawesome

I had a clog in my bath tub so I used an auger down the drain but it wouldn't go down far enough. I then tried going through the overflow tube and that didn't work either so I blocked the overflow tube with a rag and used a plunger on the drain and what looks like sand came up through it.

as far as I know nobody, in the house had been putting sand down the drain.. can it be a broken pipe letting sand seep in?

2. Mar 13, 2011 #2

yny

yny

yny

I would think if that was the case you would notice an extra wet area, or an extra high water bill.

I don't know the answer for sure, but maybe it has to do something with the water heater.

I changed my anode rod and did a flush and you would not believe the crap that came out of my tank, now the water is clearer.

3. Mar 14, 2011 #3

SlowDrip

SlowDrip

SlowDrip

Plumbing Sales Professional

It could indeed be crap coming from a degraded anode rod. It never hurts to check this anyways as they should be changed regularly.

4. Mar 14, 2011 #4

rfdevere

rfdevere

rfdevere

Member Lifetime Supporter

Plumbing In London

Are you guys mad? blaming the anode in a HWS?
    my simple advice mate if there is sand in your area and not soil (mud) then a broken pipe is most likely the cause - also consider in most countries they use sand to pack a bath in/ off the ground? spaces behind bath panels can harbor problems for ages!!!! let me know