Safe to tighten bolts holding to toilet tank to base?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coplumbo

Reaction score
I just noticed a small toilet leak. It seems to be coming from 2 of the the 3 bolts that connect the toilet tank to the toilet base.

The toilet is about 14 years old.

Would it be safe to tighten the bolts, or will it likely make the problem worse?

Obviously, I'm going to replace the washers for those bolts, but with COVID-19, I can't safely get to a store anytime soon, so I'll probably have to order them online and wait for them to be shipped.

With so many variables, I don't think anyone will be able to answer this question. I guess the safest answer would be .... maybe?

Depends on how the threads look, how spongy the gasket still looks, how long it has been dripping, if they were not secured properly in the first place....etc.

Why don't you spend a few minutes and separate the tank from the bowl, and look at the gasket and nuts and bolts, then decide?

Also, don't forget, we still have Spamazon, parking lot pick up from most DIY big box stores, free delivery, etc.

If the toilet is that old, tightening the bolts very likely will make things worse.
You also might crack the tank, or a rusty or corroded bolt or nut or deteriorated washer could fail.
Post the info that is printed or molded inside the back of your toilet.
And post some clear and well lit pics looking down into your tank, so we can assess your current tank bolts and washers.
You can get new tank bolt kits online anywhere.
You can also goop up the washers and bolts with a generous dose of teflon pipe dope, which sometimes helps stop a nagging leak that occurs even with all new bolts and washers.

Your leak might also be from another source, not from where you think.

I just noticed a small toilet leak. It seems to be coming from 2 of the the 3 bolts that connect the toilet tank to the toilet base.

The toilet is about 14 years old.

Would it be safe to tighten the bolts, or will it likely make the problem worse?

Obviously, I'm going to replace the washers for those bolts, but with COVID-19, I can't safely get to a store anytime soon, so I'll probably have to order them online and wait for them to be shipped.
You can go ahead and try tightening the bolts , but worse case , you may crack / break the porcelain .

I would source parts , first , before I did much . I would ger replacement bolts / screws , rubber washers , fasteners . There is a bug rubber " bushing " / gasket between the tank and the toilet bowl . I would get it too along with any other hardware / fasteners .

Not a lot of money and save the parts you do not use , for spares .

Best of luck to you , :)
God bless
Wyr

Had the same issue with the the powder room toilet at my daughter's house. Original from circa 1980. One of the bolts holding the tank to the bowl wasn't even finger tight, the other was barely so. Snugging them up just a bit was the cure.

Latest posts

Back