RV Watertank material pressure and toxicity

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV Noob

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a noob. There, I said it.
I am creating an RV water tank that will be used mostly for showers, but occasionally for drinking water and dish washing.

The plan: 6" sch40 PVC dwv pipe as water containment. Small RV pump- 50psi. Vent cap at water inlet. drain. Air compressor type pressure release set to 51psi.

Question 1: Due to cost I bought dwv schedule 40 pvc. How bad is that really for drinking water? This isn't going to be our only water source, but want it potable. I know it is not officially for potable, but... really??
Question 2: Will the vent cap let in air that can potentially contaminate the tank or cause bacteria/algae to grow?
Question 3: Will the 50 psi pump possibly implode the dwv pvc? I know it is not rated for pressure in general.
Question 4: Will the air compressor type relief valve work backwards? In other words, in an air compressor it lets air out. In this pump induced pressure environment, would it let air in at the set psi? I don't want the pump imploding the dwv pvc.

I know that is a lot, but this is for my family's safety (3 kids). I appreciate any expert (though non-legal and non-libility - I hold you harmless) advice!
Joe

Latest posts

Back