Running water noise/vibration when water mains is turned on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azzdawg

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to this forum. Unfortunately I have an issue with the water system at my house, it has been happening for about 3 months (maybe longer). Basically there is a running water noise/vibration when the water mains is turned on. If I close the mains valve, the noise stops. In Australia, we don't have a valve between the mains and the house. I can't remember what I was doing prior to the noise starting, I suspect it was changing out the flushing mechanism of a toilet or changing out some taps on the bath.

I have done some troubleshooting:
- Checked my water meter when not using water for several hours and there was no change to the meter reading. Although I can feel the meter ticking slightly, not sure if there is a minimum flow for the meter to work?
- Isolated toilets at the wall, hot water system, evaporation air con, all the basins I can isolate with the valves prior to the taps, dishwasher, washing machine. None of these stop the noise.
- Tried bleeding the air from the house water lines with no luck.
- Checked over all the copper piping in the roof and haven't found any leaks. Although the cold water lines vibrate like there is a flow.
- No taps inside or outside are dripping.
- Done the 'dye' test on the toilets.
- No walls appear to be water damaged.

Does anyone have any suggestions other which might help? This noise is driving me bananas but I'm hesitant to call a plumber as they charged me $150 to change out 2 sink valves and a tap to the dishwasher. Can't imagine what they would charge to troubleshoot and then repair an unknown leak.

Hi Frodo, unfortunately the one I have just has the numbers but I can feel ticking if I put my hand on the meter.

bummer. ..turn off the valve at the hot water heater
then check the meter for ticking. if it is not ticking the problem is on a hot water pipe.

next
dig up the yard where the water enters the house, cut the line, cap the line to the meter
turn meter on....is it ticking?

next, buy a 160psigauge_1.jpg
atttach it where you cut the line, and see if you can get 100 psi in the line
it MIGHT, be enough to make the leak ''sing'' be audible

Get a water test gauge wtr test gauge.png and put it on a hose bib. hose bib.png

Not sure what you call it in Australia.
My desktop translator app doesn't have a listing for the Australian language so I can't properly translate it.
Just Kidding.
attach the gauge and turn off main water valve.
If I was called out to figure this out and you didn't have a good working valve, the next step would be to install one.
If the line going into hose is not accessible then you have to make it accessible.

Now that you can isolate house water system from ground line 100% open hose bib with gauge on it.
then turn off water to house. if you have a leak in house then gauge will drop. no drop , no leak.
Will that's not exactly true. I had a small leak on a system. a single drip every 5 - 10 sec but not enough to show on gauge right away.
But if you have a leak making a noise, it should show a pressure drop right away.

Latest posts

Back