Running plumbing along the baseboard

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeyel

Reaction score
I am designing a shipping container home, and am attempting to avoid plumbing and electricals being in the wall, as I need that space for insulation.

Am I going to have a problem running my plumbing pipes outside the wall on the floor along the baseboard? (They will be encased inside a 2nd pipe for protection)

I'll be interested in what advice you get. I'm wondering how far you're wanting to run the pipes as I thought they pretty much went out near the sink/tub/shower area. Hope you'll post photos of your project as you go along. I love the thought of small/tiny houses. And shipping containers give a lot of possibilities via configurations of one or more.

im guessing your using pex???????you would have to cut tees in any place you branch off its hard to imagine but you would have to shield it from the base board because of how hot it is......is your heat copper or pex???????

Most likely it will be pex. I'm going to be using an on demand water heater, the bathroom and kitchen will share a wall.

I’d probably go along the ceiling to wall joint, and put a “crown” trim in to cover it. That conserves floor space, and gets the plumbing up out of harms way. Plus it makes it easier to drain if needed.

Another option, is that the containers are pretty high, so you could put in a slightly, (2-inch), dropped ceiling and hide everything.

you need to secure the pex inside the containment pipe, or it will thump when faucets are turned on
drill a 1/2'' hole in your chase pipe, and squirt spray foam into it. every 4' that will stop it from jumping around

interesting project. post pictures and if you need help feel free to yell at me

Last edited:
Reactions: SHR
FishScreener, I'd love to go along the ceiling, but the pipes will be coming from underneath. They will not be covered, as ease of manufacturing and ease of access are desired.

frodo, Thank you so much for mentioning that. Hoping to start the project in the spring. Soons I can get a container and a place to put it while I work on it!

Latest posts

Back