Running PEX for the First Time - A Few Questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris87

Reaction score
I am running a PEX water line tomorrow for the first time, and I have some questions. I have never used it before. I'm going to be running 1/2" and will have to go through multiple studs and a corner.
  1. I was planning to run the PEX approximately 10” down the stud (ie. 10" under the top plate). Is that okay, or is this too high?
  2. I will cross some electrical that runs down the middle of the stud. I would like to put the PEX behind the NM cable. Is this okay from a code standpoint?
  3. I'm going to install suspension clamps in all the holes and then pull the PEX through. Is that the correct way to do it?
  4. Will I damage the PEX as I pull it around the corner? I know that they sell bend supports, but I'm not sure how I install one until the PEX is in place. Won't I have to feed multiple feet of PEX around the bend until it reaches the correct position? I don't want it to kink.
I appreciate any advice/suggestions. If there's anything that I didn't ask that would be helpful to know, please feel free to share.

you can run the pex whereever its convenient. pex and nm are fine. run the pex and then add the clamps, its easier. pull it slowly without trying to muscle it and it will be fine. if it binds get someone to feed it along. Use nail plates when you are done.

Latest posts

Back