Running 1/2" pipe into a water softener

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im1dermike

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a water softener to deal with the hard water in my area (15 gpg). The model I've honed in on is the GE GXSH40V 40,2000 grain softener (here is the install guide). I'm planning out the project and have a question about the transition of pipe to the water softener.

The water softener comes with a single bypass valve which has 1” NPTM threaded connections for the incoming and outgoing plumbing. The water pipe coming into my house is 3/4". There is about 10' of that pipe until it gets reduced to 5/8" right before it goes into a (the water company's?) meter. Out of the meter it's again reduced to 1/2" copper pipe which is what is run throughout my house.

The install guide has the following notes:
  • Pipe fittings must be 1/2" minimum.
  • The water softener requires a minimum water flow of 3 gallons per minute at the inlet. Maximum allowable inlet water pressure is 125 psi. If daytime pressure is over 80 psi, nighttime pressure may exceed the maximum.
I was going to tap into the existing 1/2" copper pipe using 1/2" PEX, but ultimately I would need to go from 1/2" to 1" to get into the softener. If I were to do this transition right at the softener, it seems like I could use these two parts:
What I'd like to understand if there would be any unacceptable impacts on water pressure or otherwise going from 1/2" to 1" "immediately" at the softener which would suggest an alternative plan.

1/2" water size pipe is an inadequate size for any home. NO IFs about it.
My 3 bath home is inadequately sized with 3/4" copper b/c the third bath was added later, but we get by ok as long as simultaneous use is avoided. (But it is not to code.)
Pressure is a static thing: One cannot affect the pressure with pipe size. But, flow is what it is all about and that is a function of pressure and pipe size.

1/2" water size pipe is an inadequate size for any home. NO IFs about it.

Unfortunately one does NOT always have a choice in the matter! One of the row-houses we looked at to rent for our daughter attending school in Philadelphia had ½" pipe to the hot water tank, and ½" after that, serving the washer, kitchen sink, lavatory, and shower. Thankfully there was no dishwasher or second bath.

Latest posts

Back