Rumbling Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soxnation71

Reaction score
Good morning all – first time post. I have a question – we have a new electric water heater (15-months old), and recently it starts to ‘rumble’ when certain faucets are turned on. It’s completely quiet when the dishwasher, kitchen sink, washer is running, and most plumbing for that matter. If the downstairs toilet or sink are running separately, it doesn’t rumble, but if I “flush” and then turn on the sink at the same time the toilet is running, it rumbles. Also, when we run the master bath, the tank rumbles.

Recently, I replaced all our toilets with the Fluidmaster 400 as someone said that could be causing it, as previous to replacing, our toilets would flush and then make a ‘whoosh’ sound four or five times before finally quieting. All three were doing this, so I replaced all three and they now flush normally.

From what I read, it sounds like I need to drain or ‘flush’ our my tank as sediment might have built up, and even though it’s only 15-months old I’ve never done this to the tank.

Anyway, I just wanted to post here in case anyone had any other thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks very much for your time!

Kyle

Are the tank supplies on top or on the side of the tank? Also, what area of the house is the tank located i.e: basement, attic or 1st floor?

Gas water heater tend to rumble caused by sediments in the bottom and the burner has to heat the water through the sediments.
Electric WH have heating elements that are inserted from the side of the tank. The elements may have a deposit of minerals on the elements and maybe grumbling because they have to heat the water through the deposits.
Draining the heater probably won't help.
If it's only 15 months old call the manufacture. Also check your water pressure and see what the difference is with every thing closed and with 1 or 2 fixtures open.

The water heater is in between the kitchen and dining room, first level. When you say 'tank supplies,' are you referring to where the pipes connect? If so, most of the connections are running from the top.

The noise is very inconsistent, sometimes we hear it with certain fixtures, other times we don't - sometimes a little louder than others. I checked the manufacturer handbook and it said if it makes noise it's usually the sediment build up.

Thanks for your replies!

If you are getting a 'rumbling' noise when cold water is being used, you may be having vacuum issues with the tank.
Try this: Do the "but if I “flush” and then turn on the sink at the same time the toilet is running, it rumbles. Also, when we run the master bath, the tank rumbles."
If the rumbling occurs, try it again with the help of another person and the T&P valve open on the tank draining into a bucket. The water will be hot! So be careful.
If the noise does not happen again with the T&P valve open and draining at the same time, you may need to have a vacuum relief valve installed. Let us know how the test goes.

Water heater problems are normally self-evident, either the water does not become hot or it starts to leak or makes strange gurgling noise. These problems are commonly found in every household. But most revolve around the same symptoms and can be handled or repaired by you. Knowing the basic water heater repairs can help you a lot in your day to day life. It is quite an easy way to resolve these issues.

Some water heaters used to come with heat trap inlet/outlet nipples.
The nipples had a small ball inside of them.
The hot nipple had a stainless steel ball that rests in the bottom of the nipple when there is no water flow.
Trapping in conductive heat from migrating up the supply.
The ball moves up with flow and had a tendency to rattle.
The same with the cold side, except the ball was plastic and it floated to the top of the nipple when there is no water flow and pulled down with flow into the tank.
This was often found as a cause for a rumble or rattle noise from the heater

Latest posts

Back