rough in size help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMC

Reaction score
A plumber was here and told me I need a 10 in rough in toilet. I tried to find one I thought would be good, but they are in short supply, or company names I'm not familiar with. What is confusing me is that my toilet's bolts are 12" from the wall, but the toilet is also 2" away from the wall. He said there was piping from the wall, but when I look at the current toilet, I think the 12"toilet would have worked ok. The water pipe coming through the wall juts out about 7-8" from the middle of the tank, and that water pipe is about 14" from the floor, coming out about 2", then turning down and jutting out towards the toilet at about 8" from the floor, then a flexible hose upg to the toilet. I'm a female senior home owner, so I don't know a thing about this, just wondering if a 12" could possibly fit, because there are far more toilets available in 12".

That water supply stub out is terrible and ought to be addressed with a bit of work. It would be money well spent.
Nevertheless, if you are buying a new toilet, it is recommended that you get an ADA or 'comfort height' elongated bowl product. That will have a bowl height of about 16-1/4", so. depending on the exact specifics of the new water shank supply location, it may work. But, you really would have to research any variety of toilets. For instance, my favorite low cost Toto Entrada has a very small tank profile (14" wide) which might be 5 or 6 inches from center and might work w/o remodel work.
1637375024021.png

https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SpecSheet/SS-00636_CST244EF.pdf

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. The problem is I live in a 100 year old house with old plumbing and I'm not sure the plumbers they send are familiar with old plumbing or want to open a Pandora's box of problems by messing too much with what's there. The reason I'm having a leak is because the last plumber couldn't get a wax seal to work so he made a seal out of plumbers putty, which lasted a short time. I could see the ceiling was wet again (it was that plumber's second try), and then the toilet bowl water was getting low....so this plumber yesterday said the toilet must be cracked. (sinks draining well and roof vents as far as the roofing guy could see were clear). I feel this plumber took one look at the old pipes and suggested the easiest option, but perhaps not the best one for me. The tank on the existing toilet is 21", so a 14' tank is quite small in comparison, and if the seat is higher, maybe the old pipes won't interfer. Totos are good toilets....do you think I might be able to go with a 12' rough in? The plumber seems to want me to buy my own toilet. Though it would be less expensive, I truly don't want to try to lift these components. Thank you again, I appreciated your answer. I just hope this will get fixed, because I have not used this toilet in months.. not wanting to flush it. I agree, a comfort height is a must! Thanks again. I was looking at toilets for hours yesterday and today, and didn't know if I truly needed a 10" or 12", so I was kind of going in circles! That's why I posted here.

If I get a chance over the next day, I will get over to look at a Entrada in person and report back.

Please don’t go to any trouble! If you happen to be somewhere you can view that’s the only reason to look. I should be responsible for this dilemma…I just thought it easier, though nothing is.
I looked at the schematic of Toto. Though the photo looks like it could work, the bowl is only 1 3/8” from wall. So for it to work the tank has to be higher than pipe jutting out and the bowl width has to clear the pipe, too. Has to be narrower to clear pipe. It is approximately
63/4” from center of tank to pipe jutting out and pipe 14” from floor an then juts out more at 9” from floor. I tried to draw it. Amusing, I know! Don’t waste time on this. I know this is a problem and maybe I’m spinning my wheels, so my venting may be an exercise in futility! Yes, would like to get a 12” rough in, but it may not be doable. But even a 10” rough in has to work with pipe. Old houses are frustrating! Thanks for ‘listening’.
71BAC7ED-8442-43BD-A787-57AA7320FEA9.jpeg

What’s the vertical measurement from the floor to the center of the water pipe exiting the wall ? 14” ?

If so the Toto Enchilada ADA height will fit.😉

Last edited:
Yes, exiting water pipe from wall is at 14” from floor - thin escutcheon? is at 15”. I will look into those Totos. I was at my daughter’s yesterday, checking out her toilets. She has a Toto and also what seems to be an even narrower Koehler Highline comfort height bowl with a Wellworth tank - tank bottom is 15” above floor.
Would Toto (and possibly K Highline) fit with 12” rough in? Or do I have to still use 10”? Thank you.

I had a nice talk with Toto. I think I still have to buy Koehler.
Just wondering. Approximately what would an average cost be for the plumber to purchase and install a toilet from a plumbing supply house? I can buy the toilet I want from a big box store for less than $250(with cheaper seat included). Though discounted on online sites, and possible for plumber at local plumbing supply, the toilet’s list price on manufacturer’s website is about $450. Is it typical for plumber to charge list price if he’s providing the toilet? If so, how much more would be reasonable to expect for labor? Thank you.

Here’s how I work.

If you supply the toilet then I charge you to haul away old one. Even if you don’t want me to, I include that in price.

Then I estimate how long it would take from start to finish. From the time I put my key in my truck ignition until you hand me a check or cash in my hand.

So I would estimate 2.5 hrs.

So with time and toilet haul away I would charge you around $450-500 to install your toilet.

If your toilet is defective out of the box then you just lost the game. I would charge you to remove it, basically the job price would double. You would have to take it back and get me another one. Labor would be around 850.....too bad so sad.

If I furnish the toilet I charge near list price but they get a rock solid warranty that includes labor.

Latest posts

Back