Rough in dimensions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dplumber

Reaction score
Can any one provide a list in sae on all rough in dimensions

With all the fixtures on the market, an exhaustive list would be, well, exhausting! Whatever it is your planning to install should either come with roughin dimensions or their websites should offer that information. There are some basic dimensions but some plumbers will vary. I install a toilet flange 16” from a side wall and 12-1/2” (centered) from a back wall while my old journeyman from the days of yore used 13”, just to be safe and many guides might say 12” for a typical toilet. And some makes might have unique dimensions. You should know both your product and end user. Had a home (mansion really; 9 bedrooms and a three piece washroom for each!) where the design called for bidets; owner didn’t want them but had us install a shower mixing valve next to each toilet! (Ew!)

Last edited:
Would be nice if there was a standard.
I have seen my share of Kitchen and lavatory sink sanitary tees set to high or to low. The customer gets a new deeper than normal sink and the trap arm is to high.
Or the sink cabinet has a bottom drawer and you have to cut a hole in the shelf above the drawer for the p-trap

I think, but I might be wrong, but a typical kitchen rough in is 16" from floor.
If you're looking for something in particular just ask.
Those who do a lot of rough-ins may know.

Back