Room Moisture

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fante

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this may not have anything to do with plumbing however I am sure someone can help out.
Now UK is at low temperature winter 0C to 9C my windows are double glazed panels in the bedroom and is wet in the morning. I have tried all I could such as adding insulation in the loft + Celotex boards, added sealant at the windows etc... it has not stopped the condensation
Any idea of what is happening ?

I don't know the answer, but if no one here can help, you may want to join a sister forum. House Repair Talk covers many aspects of repairing homes.

https://www.houserepairtalk.com/

Condensation is depositing normally (think glass of iced liquid).
Failure of the vacuum within the double glazed panel is not uncommon.
Condesnation can be controlled by decreasing moisture in the house from bathing and even cooking via exhaust fans.

As breplum pointed out the double glazed panels can have a problem.

Typically the heating system for your house reduces the humidity considerably when you get down to freezing temperatures. I must assume you keep your heat relatively low and/or generate a lot of moisture. For example hot showers with no exhaust fan.

I have double glazed windows in my house. The older, less expensive windows always have much more condensation than my newer double glazed windows, which have very little if any.

I have a humidifier for the winter months and I was setting it based on my Hygrometer, which shows 50 to 75 as being the good range. I have since found out that an indoor humidity level of 30 - 40% is recommended in the winter months. Particularly if you are getting a lot of condensation on your windows. (Some say 40 to 50 or 40 to 60 but point out that it can be lower to avoid excessive condensation.)
Then I found this article that I now go by.

For optimal comfort, indoor humidity levels should be adjusted based on the outside temperature:
    • When the outside temperature is 20-40 degrees Fahrenheit, the indoor humidity level should generally not exceed 40%.
    • When the outside temperature is 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit, indoor humidity levels should not exceed 35%.
    • If the outdoor temperature is 0-10 degrees, the indoor humidity level should remain at 30% or slightly lower.
    • In instances when the outdoor temperature is between -10 and 0 degrees Fahrenheit, the humidity level should not exceed 25%.
    • In those rare instances when the outdoor temperature drops to 20 below to 10 below, the humidity indoors must not exceed 20%.
(40°F − 32) × 5/9 = -4.4°C
(30°F
− 32) × 5/9 = -1.1°C
(20°F − 32) × 5/9 = -6.6°C

Last edited:
BTW...It's not unusual for the indoor humidity to drop into the single numbers during the winter months in a cold climate. This is much too dry!

Last edited:
Not only will excess indoor humidity cause condensation at the bottom of windows and doors, it can cause dampness you will not notice, inside walls near electrical outlets.

Bathroom vent fans can drip or rust out.

Can lights will often corrode if under an attic or in a cold basement.

Or anywhere else that water vapor can penetrate.

You might notice it after a winter or two, when black fuzz finally grows all the way through the wall board.

Hi Guys, this may not have anything to do with plumbing however I am sure someone can help out.
Now UK is at low temperature winter 0C to 9C my windows are double glazed panels in the bedroom and is wet in the morning. I have tried all I could such as adding insulation in the loft + Celotex boards, added sealant at the windows etc... it has not stopped the condensation
Any idea of what is happening ?

Window condensation can be a natural occurrence. Windows do not cause condensation. Follow the suggestions suggested in the video to reduce the humidity in your home and interior condensation on your windows.

Back