RO/DI system waste water DIY project help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToothDecay

Reaction score
Just installed a Spectrapure 90GPD RO/DI system into my kitchen. It's for my saltwater fish tank and drinking since my water tastes bad.

I'm planning to run my 3/8" waste water line into the basement and into a 10 gallon or so bladder pressure tank. Then I will run the pressurized tank water to my toilet. Not too much TDS in my city water anyways so it's not like the water is super-saturated with dissolved solids to mess with toilet operation.

Ideally I'd like the system to automatically default to the city water as the secondary source if the pressure tank is empty. Is there a cheap-ish Y connector valve to accomplish this? Obviously I could put a manual valve to switch sources back and forth but I'd have to locate this in the bathroom to avoid going downstairs all the time. Something automatic in the basement would solve the problem completely and would be much easier than messing with any pipes in the bathroom itself.

Other ideas to accomplish the same goal without a pressure tank are definitely welcomed.

The waste line would be pressurized coming out of the RO/DI system I'd think, so I could just run in into a sealed tank with a valve that would expel the extra water into the drain when pressure got too high in the tank?

Back