Rheem water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrench

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have a water heater that may have had the top heating element burn out, then not used for years. I'm wondering if a water heater has been sitting drained, for about 2 years, do you think replacing the upper heating element, filling and turning on that there is a decent chance that it would work again?

It’ll probably work if it was in good shape when you drained it.

I’d go ahead and replace both elements. Maybe both thermostats. You can get the entire kit for about $50.

If an electric heater isn’t leaking then it can be repaired.

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I really don't want to have to replace the whole thing.

I don't know if anyone would agree but before you turn it on I would flush it out first. Then crank the temp up as high as possible. If there was any stagnate water that did not fully drain out or moisture there could be bacteria. Flushing it and turning the temp up will help get rid of it if there is.

This .ight be overkill but I would then turn the electric off drain it and flush it out one more time.

Last edited:
Just another suggestion ... while the lower element is out ....... attach a pliable length of vehicle heater hose to a wet vac and clean the bottom of the tank. ( I do this every six months when I replace the elements.)

Check the operation of the relief valve. Replace as needed.

Latest posts

Back