Rheem vs AO Smith water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfmx

Reaction score
Based on your experience which water heater do you recommend? A.O. Smith or Rheem 40 gallon short water heater? I'm very confused on which one to choose.

Based on your experience which water heater do you recommend? A.O. Smith or Rheem 40 gallon short water heater? I'm very confused on which one to choose.

They all leak and have problems at some point. Pick your poison.

Which ever is cheaper on electric.

On gas I choose Rheem

They’re all about the same, some even use the same gas controls.

This is for Gas.

Any specific reason you choose Rheem over AO Smith?

This might just be a rumor, but I have heard that Rheem heaters in the big box stores are not as good as Rheem heaters from a plumbing supply house, they cheapen them up.
Twowax pbly has input on that subject.

This might just be a rumor, but I have heard that Rheem heaters in the big box stores are not as good as Rheem heaters from a plumbing supply house, they cheapen them up.

Minor differences. Brass drain valve from supply house. I think that’s about it on the rheems. Gas control may or may not be different.

The tank is definitely the same.

Years ago the moen rep told me that the faucets were made different for the box stores. He said they were better made for the plumbers going to a supply house Its probably the same on water heaters.

The main difference I use to see was the pop up was different. The supply house always had the full metal pop up nd the box store had either the 50/50 plastic/metal or a total plastic pop up.

Then the manufacturers started making special model numbers to sell at box stores built to the box stores price point.

This also stops price matching because the model number isn’t sold anywhere else but that one orange or blue box store.

I have no proof but I believe faucet manufacturers use box stores as a test market for new crap they’ve developed.

Back