Rheem Performance 50 Gal. Electric Water Heater Draining

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hargraveforestry

Reaction score
Hi and thank you all in advance as I am have hit a road block in my second attempt at draining my year old hot water heater. The hot water heater was installed in August 2019, and I attempted to drain the heater this weekend. My process of draining started with throwing the breaker to the heater, next I attached the garden hose to the drain plug (plastic drain value), then I proceeded to close off the cold water valve, then I went to the back bathroom to open the hotwater faucet as I have been watching youtube videos. I went to open the valve that is attached to the garden hose and very little bit of water trickled out. This was not working.

So my next step, I bought an adapter for the hose where I could blast water through the garden hose, through the plastic drain value, and then back into the tank. I did this for 5 seconds and took the hose off the water source in hoping it would start the draining process. Still a small amount of trickle of water. However, I turned on the cold water value and the flow increased substantially and I did get some lime/calcium sediment. I repeated this process about 3-times.

As of this morning I am skeptical as I am not so sure that I got a good cleaning as the tank would only drain when the cold water was turned on. I also tried the PRV too.

What am I doing wrong? Or what do you think I am doing wrong?

Many Thanks!

Ct18 is right, leave the cold inlet open.

You don’t want to DRAIN your tank.
You want to FLUSH your tank.

And open and close the drain valve a few times while flushing, because the valve can plug up with sediment.

And opening and closing will help stir up more sediment.

Back