Rheem dielectric pipe nipples

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psklein578

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon Rheem water heater that has what looks like factory installed dielectric 3/4 inch nipples on the hot and cold connections. I have tried to get info about the need for dielectric unions in addition to the factory installed nipples. So far I have not had a definite answer from Rheem or anyone else. I have already installed the heater with copper directly to the nipples but I could put dielectric unions on it without much trouble. Obviously I don't want to use them if they are not needed. Does anyone have any experience with the Rheem with factory installed pipe nipples?

Most of the water heater companies have dielectric nipples installed. I always installed dielectric unions just in case I needed
to take something apart. Your tank probably has those nipples installed so the unions wouldn't be needed.

I haven't seen factory nipples w/o the dielectric interior sleeves since forever.
Nothing to worry about.

I have a 10 gallon Rheem water heater that has what looks like factory installed dielectric 3/4 inch nipples on the hot and cold connections. I have tried to get info about the need for dielectric unions in addition to the factory installed nipples. So far I have not had a definite answer from Rheem or anyone else. I have already installed the heater with copper directly to the nipples but I could put dielectric unions on it without much trouble. Obviously I don't want to use them if they are not needed. Does anyone have any experience with the Rheem with factory installed pipe nipples?

They might be heat traps. To meet energy standards on some tanks they must use some sort of heat trap. I dont think 10 gal are subject to that requirement.

Using a dielectric nipple is the perfect place to install a heat trap.

We have good luck here with installing copper directly to the steel tank. Water quality plays a huge role in the rate of electrolysis with dissimilar metals.

I’ve talked to Rheem engineers about it years ago. They said that if you want true separation then you need distance. 6” or more. The water is conductive. The more conductive the water the farther the separation needs to be.
The water provider here puts calcium chloride into the water I believe. It coats the inside of metallic piping and the water heater with a thin coating and this coating provides protection.

It’s thin like the candy coating on an M&M.

I haven't seen factory nipples w/o the dielectric interior sleeves since forever.
Nothing to worry about.
I've seen a few off brand water heaters with no nipples at all attached. Had to put male X cop dielectric unions on

Latest posts

Back