Rheem 40 Gallon Tank Leaking from Pressure Valve Threads

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James90

Reaction score
I have a brand new 40 gallon Rheem hot water tank that was installed a few days ago. At first no problems no leaks anything, and I wake up this morning to water in the floor. I get to looking for the problem and it seems to be leaking from the threads l, seeping up from around the pressure relief valve, Ive never seen this before, what do I do?

Redo it properly if it was you.
Call the installer back immediately.
Simple.

Sometimes the relief valve is not aiming the correct direction from the factory . If I have to turn it any I remove entirely. Thin coating pipe dope , 3 wraps Teflon tape , thin coat of pipe dope again . Tighten to proper direction

Sometimes the relief valve is not aiming the correct direction from the factory . If I have to turn it any I remove entirely. Thin coating pipe dope , 3 wraps Teflon tape , thin coat of pipe dope again . Tighten to proper direction

I’ve got both Teflon tape and pipe dope, but what do you mean by proper direction from factory? I’ve put in several hot water tanks, but it’s usually a pretty simple ordeal, is there something I’m missing?
Thanks

If the relief valve is on the top of heater you may want to turn it another direction to where it needs to go . On the side I find them not aiming straight down some times and they need tweaked a little . If it needs moved , make sure tank is drained down below relief valve , remove , dope tape dope and reinstall . If you move it at all seal is broken .

If the relief valve is on the top of heater you may want to turn it another direction to where it needs to go . On the side I find them not aiming straight down some times and they need tweaked a little . If it needs moved , make sure tank is drained down below relief valve , remove , dope tape dope and reinstall . If you move it at all seal is broken .

Alright I got the threads to stop leaking with pipe dope, seems that's all it needed where it was new, but now it's pushing a little water from the valve itself. The only regulator I know of is at the water meter itself, will adding a in line regulator fix this problem? I took the overflow pipe off to measure just how much water is coming from the valve, and it's just enough to wet the floor and cause issues.

Thanks for all your help.

Edit: This is not a constant leak either, only after a shower or using hot water for a bit will it build enough pressure to leak.

Also, as far as I know we're on a open system and there's never been a expansion tank installed in this house.

Attachments

• 20200518_163709.jpg
    20200518_163709.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Install an expansion tank ,open system or not . May need to replace relief valve as well . As soon as they start leaking they may never stop . 2 sizes of expansion tank , get larger one . Hang from rafters .There is a top and a bottom to the expansion tank . Could possibly just replace relief valve , if it leaks again ?

Install an expansion tank ,open system or not . May need to replace relief valve as well . As soon as they start leaking they may never stop . 2 sizes of expansion tank , get larger one . Hang from rafters .There is a top and a bottom to the expansion tank . Could possibly just replace relief valve , if it leaks again ?

Thank you sir, the expansion tank remedied the problem.

You may find a check valve (one-way valve) somewhere upstream of your water heater. Check valves are incorporated into many types of water meter “sets” out in the meter pit. Check valves are also integral to all backflow prevention devices. The check valve prevents cool water from expanding back up the main supply line when the water expands while being heated in the water heater. That is what causes the pressure to exceed the relief valve setting and start leaking off the excess pressure.

Latest posts

Back