Reverse osmosis water waste

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markdecker

Reaction score
My reverse osmosis water filter system wastes four gallons to every one gallon of water used. Can I pump that discarded water back into my house line? I would think it best to pump it into the cold water line going to the water heater. Will my water meter run backward? Can it? Would a sump pump be strong enough?

Why would you want to pump the nasty water back into your plumbing?

No; a sump pump would not work.

In the town that I live in a major portion of are of are water comes from a RO plant and they are not allowed to pump the waste water from there system into a river. It's nasty stuff.

John

In the town that I live in a major portion of are of are water comes from a RO plant and they are not allowed to pump the waste water from there system into a river. It's nasty stuff.
Where does this water come from?

It comes from a lake that is part of a river system. (fresh water) This isn't the only water source the also draw from wells. Not sure if the well water goes through the RO plant. The plant is not far from my home someday I will see if I can get a tour of the place and be more informed of it's operation.

John

Last edited:
I can see where they would want to clean up the lake water. The well water shouldn't need to go through an RO.

Back