Replacing Water Heater - Water Lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

Reaction score
My 12 year old State water heater needs replacing and I have a question regarding the hot and cold water pipes up on top. I have attached a picture and would like to know how I go about removing the copper pipes and re-attaching them to the new heater. Should I cut the copper pipes just above the top Shark Bites and maybe use a flexible line back down. I'm a newbie and just unsure how to approach this. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 27
Get the sharkbite, disconnector, and take the shark bites off. Where the upper shark bites are located, install the shark bite adapter to 3/4-male pipe adapters, and put in flexible lines to the heater.

Many people swear by Sharkbites, but personally I would never use them. Solder is an easy task, and you will never have to worry about that darn thing popping off.

Yes that's what I have been reading. Those SharkBites have been on my heater connections since 2007. I do though want to learn how to properly solder copper. You're never too old to learn something new. Its so easy to take the easy way out......

Back