Replacing Water Heater - Water Lines

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

PeteM

Reaction score
My 12 year old State water heater needs replacing and I have a question regarding the hot and cold water pipes up on top. I have attached a picture and would like to know how I go about removing the copper pipes and re-attaching them to the new heater. Should I cut the copper pipes just above the top Shark Bites and maybe use a flexible line back down. I'm a newbie and just unsure how to approach this. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

FishScreener

Reaction score
Get the sharkbite, disconnector, and take the shark bites off. Where the upper shark bites are located, install the shark bite adapter to 3/4-male pipe adapters, and put in flexible lines to the heater.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Many people swear by Sharkbites, but personally I would never use them. Solder is an easy task, and you will never have to worry about that darn thing popping off.

PeteM

Reaction score
Yes that's what I have been reading. Those SharkBites have been on my heater connections since 2007. I do though want to learn how to properly solder copper. You're never too old to learn something new. Its so easy to take the easy way out......