Replacing very old tub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loch

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am trying to replace a very old tub spout. It is old and different from those I have seen so far.

Please see the attached pictures. As you can see there are two parts. I was able to remove the spout but now I have a second part still attacked to the wall. What shall I do?

011.jpg

012.jpg

016.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have never seen that method of attaching a tub spout before. But I am going to venture a guess that the part that is still attached is soldered to the copper piping coming from the valve. A torch, some soldering flux, pliers and a good "alternative" vocabulary will be needed to remove it.

I would guess that it is threaded on to a pipe nipple
The 2 tabs radiating from the center hole looks like something to grab hold of to turn off because the back flange is a finished surface I don't think was meant to put a torch to.

scrape the inside of the hole and see if it looks like brass or copper. or look inside the hole and see if it may have a joint in the middle or is it solid all the way back to the fitting.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it is galvanized. I have galvanized pipes in the whole house made in 1939.
I tried to loosen the part but it is extremely hard. I was thinking to loosen the brass part with a fire and keep cold water running on the pipe so that that part remains cold. I am only afraid to crack the tiles, though. Any suggestion.

I have been heating the brass part with a propane torch (1 to 2 minutes) and simultaneously run cold water on the galvanized pipe. I have been able to move the brass part 1/2 inch on the left but it is still extremely hard. I am going to take a break for a while. Any tip at this point?

The heat+water solution has given the best results so far. With only heat without water this thing doesn't move a bit. But still I can't believe it is so hard after being able to unscrew it by 1/2 inch.

How about a penetrating oil, such as PB blaster. Us jeep owners don't leave home without it in our back pockets. I've also had luck using CLR and vinegar, allowing a full night of soak time

Hi,
After some hard work, I have been able to remove the brass part.
Now, it looks like I have 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple screwed into a 3/4" galvanized pipe nipple. The 3/4" nipple is 1/2" long and the 1/2" nipple is 3/4" long for a total length of 1 inch 1/4 (sticking out of the wall).
What's my next step? Do they sell spouts that fit 1 inch and 1/4 long nipples or shall I try to unscrew the 1/2" nipple from the 3/4" nipple?
Thanks again for all of your help!!
002.jpg

After looking at your pipes, I would not be doing much more tugging or twisting on them for fear of cracking your pipes. I would purchase the tub spout you want, find out how long the threaded pipe has to be, then use a 1/2" coupler and extend it with a nipple to make the length needed. If you are not sure, buy a few sizes, one a little long and another a little short, until you have proper threading and the end of your spout is against the tile.

Yes thank you, Havasu. I bought all brass parts and extended the nipple. It works great! Thank you!

Brass? Them things are pricy! I'm glad it worked out for you and thanks for posting the outcome!

yes true they are expensive $5 for 2 and 1/2 inch nipple and another $3 for the coupler.

Back