replacing valves

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by Andrei, Oct 14, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Oct 14, 2019 #1

Andrei

Andrei

Andrei

Hello, thank you for looking at this post, hopefully you can share some of your knowledge with me...

-----------------------------------------------

Issue:
    None-functioning Taco 006 Circulator, causing low to no heat in the house.

-----------------------------------------------

SPECS:

Unit:
    980 sq. ft. Single story condo - 1998 build date

Water Heater:
    AO Smith 40 gal. gas

Water Circulator:
    Taco 006-B4-3

Furnace:
    First Company 1.5 ton Fan Coil in ceiling Unit

------------------------------------------------

I was attempting to replace the Circulator Pump, only to discover that the valves are extremely corroded and not working. I want to replace all valves + pump. Starting with the main shut-off valve.

My Plan:
    - Shut off the water to the building for an hour or so while I replace the main shut-off valve.
    - Drain water from faucets to release pressure before cutting.
    - After replacing main shut-off valve, I will lock the valve, return the water to the building and continue to take my time to re-construct/replicate the rest of the build.

I have included several photos to better help explain my situation.

I have several questions which I hope someone can answer:

1.) Hot water pipe from the water heater has a 'defect' or is it a 'restriction'?

2.) Should I turn off the water heater when replacing the valves?

3.) Should I drain the water heater? Or no need as I will be working above the water heater.

4.) Should I purchase the same Taco Circulator Pump, or use something else? (recommendations)

Any other tips or recommendations are appreciated. (parts, tools, safety etc..)

2. Oct 14, 2019 #2

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

have several questions which I hope someone can answer:

1.) Hot water pipe from the water heater has a 'defect' or is it a 'restriction'?
    I see calcium build up on your valves. most likely your pipes are restricted

2.) Should I turn off the water heater when replacing the valves?
    YES
    3.) Should I drain the water heater? Or no need as I will be working above the water heater.
    You need to not only drain that heater, you need to flush it. You need to get as much of that calcium out as you can
    4.) Should I purchase the same Taco Circulator Pump, or use something else? (recommendations)
    A taco is a good pump, I would replace it with the same pump BUT a different pipe connection
    go with a flange instead of soldered into place. makes it easier to work on in the future

Any other tips or recommendations are appreciated. (parts, tools, safety etc..)
    The ''crud'' you see on your valves is calcium, it is there because those valves are leaking ever so slightly.
    You will not know the extent of the ''crud'' problem intill you cut a pipe and look on the inside

Contact TACO.com
    tell them the model number of your pump 006-B4-3
    You my only need to replace parts and not the whole shebang

Andrei likes this.
  3. Oct 14, 2019 #3

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

So I must assume this arrangement using a tank type water heater is acceptable in your state. Is it also acceptable to use it for both heating and domestic water use without separation by heat exchangers?

Out of curiosity, what do you set your water heater temperature to?

Do you have a means of venting out any air?

Are you positive you have a "None-functioning" pump?

How long have you had this arrangement? In other words was it working fine for you at one time?

If one of those CW lines represents the HW return, where's the CW supply to the tank? Also, there should be a check valve on the CW supply, in which case would require an expansion tank.

Actually the whole thing looks a bit weird to me. I guess I should go look to see what is typically done when a domestic water heater is used for heat.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Andrei likes this.
  4. Oct 15, 2019 #4

Andrei

Andrei

Andrei

Hey, thank you for your reply, I appreciate the recommendation to flush the tank! That is something that I am sure must be done by the looks of things..

5. Oct 15, 2019 #5

Andrei

Andrei

Andrei

6. Oct 15, 2019 #6

Andrei

Andrei

Andrei

Also I do not mean to intrude, you have provided more than plenty of your time to this post.. but my 1st question is related to this image.. the 90 elbow seems to be 'bent/crimped'.. wondering if this was done to restrict water, or just a defected elbow?

7. Oct 15, 2019 #7

Andrei

Andrei

Andrei

Perhaps this is the correct image, the circulation of water.. (image attached...)

Is it also acceptable to use it for both heating and domestic water use without separation by heat exchangers? I am unaware what are heat exchangers, forgive me, learning more on this subject as I write this..

..Also, if this is the correct circulation of water, than how is the house getting cold water?? Perhaps there is another line..

Perhaps the water heater is there just to heat up the water, and circulate hot water to the furnace and back..

That means there is an independent cold water pipe which I have no control over inside the condominium.. Eureka?!

So that would mean that this is a closed loop system that circulates water to the furnace and back into the WH, + hot water to the house. CW would have it's own separate pipe that I have no control over, besides the outdoor valve that shuts off all water to the building..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  8. Oct 15, 2019 #8

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

the vent does not appear to be code compliant
    that looks like a dryer vent

9. Oct 15, 2019 #9

Andrei

Andrei

Andrei

Thank you for letting me know! All this is good stuff! I can help out with web site stuff you ever need!

10. Oct 15, 2019 #10

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

I suggest you get a professional plumber(or two) to look at what you have in place there and advise what your options are.
    It appears to me that you have a lot more problems than just that it's not providing adequate heat.