Replacing Tub/Shower Drain with Shower Only Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Vale

Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm replacing a tub/shower assembly with a shower-only, using a Sterling acrylic base, left-side drain. Not sure how to proceed with modifying the existing waste-water plumbing for the needs of the shower base. I hope it's as simple as cutting off the minimum necessary, then re-plumbing up to the location of the pan drain-hole. Thanks in advance...IMG_4443.jpg

Don’t see the vent in the picture but you need to replace the whole traparm and trap to 2 inch from the vent. Sorry, kind of a drag to do right.

Hey RD, thanks for that. Not sure if the code requires that up here in Ontario. A buddy is building a home right now & told me the Plumbers installed 1.5" piping for his drains. I may have to swage up to 2" for the shower pan connection though.

Not sure about (aboot) Canada code but 2 inch is the norm with showers. Buy a good snake if you stay with 1 1/2.

I'm pretty sure "swageing up" to 2" would violate most local codes in the US, and the 2018 IPC explicitly prohibits it:
upload_2019-4-21_8-11-14.png
As always, just ask your local AHJ.

Latest posts

Back