Replacing Toilet Handle without Chain or Flapper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneralDude

Reaction score
I have a Toto Ultramax II Toilet where the handle just stopped working (loose and handle doesn't trigger flush). Looking inside, there is no conventional bar, chain, or flapper. The handle is connected to a gear mechanism that is connected to the red tube that is seen below. I took it apart, and based on the second pic, when you push the toilet handle, it turns those gears, but I have no idea how that action causes the toilet to flush. Perhaps I lost some parts, but I wasn't able to find any.

The last pic shows a closer look to where would typically be the flapper valve. It is entirely enclosed by plastic, so I can't even pull anything to manually flash. Looking online, I couldn't find anything similar, which is really strange. Would appreciate any assistance - thanks in advance.

Toilet 1.jpg
Toilet 2.jpg
Toilet 3.jpg

Last edited:
You have a picture of everything but your handle.

You have a picture of everything but your handle.

The handle connects to those gears and is on the bottom of the 2nd pic in my original post. Here are two pictures that show the the handle better, one with the gears part connected, and one separately that shows how they connect.

Toilet 4.jpg
Toilet 5.jpg

The handle is on the left hand size of the toilet (assuming you are facing the toilet from the front).

ok. The parts Breplum posted is for the 1.28 gallon flush model. Here is the link for the one you have which is a 1.0 GPF
https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/PD-00836_MS604114CUFG.pdfIf you are happy with the low flow, use this parts list to get the correct parts and rebuild it. If not, get the 1.28 parts and rebuild with that kit.

Do you happen to see anything wrong in the pic? My guess is only one small piece is broken, so I wasn't intending to replace ALL the parts. Maybe just something to have to do with the handle (either repair or replace).

Is there a way to flush these kinds of toilets manually? When I look up the part "THU161#CP", which looks like it may be one of the parts I need, I can't even find anything online except for two links to Toto toilet Specs, one of which is the one you linked, and another website with no pictures or price. How would you even go about ordering replacement parts or more importantly identifying what part has the problem? I've typically been able to fix simpler problems with my other toilets, but have never seen one like this.

Do you happen to see anything wrong in the pic? My guess is only one small piece is broken, so I wasn't intending to replace ALL the parts. Maybe just something to have to do with the handle (either repair or replace).

Is there a way to flush these kinds of toilets manually? When I look up the part "THU161#CP", which looks like it may be one of the parts I need, I can't even find anything online except for two links to Toto toilet Specs, one of which is the one you linked, and another website with no pictures or price. How would you even go about ordering replacement parts or more importantly identifying what part has the problem? I've typically been able to fix simpler problems with my other toilets, but have never seen one like this.
Call Toto and explain your issue and the should be able to guide you from there. That is what their tech line is there for. I bet they could walk you through it.

It appears that the red tube should contain a wire. When you push the handle the wire is pulled up about an inch out of the tube. Presumably the wire is attached to the equivalent of a flapper in the flush valve, so that pulling it up causes the flush. Is the wire broken?

It appears that the red tube should contain a wire. When you push the handle the wire is pulled up about an inch out of the tube. Presumably the wire is attached to the equivalent of a flapper in the flush valve, so that pulling it up causes the flush. Is the wire broken?
Yes, it appears that is the issue. I talked to Toto and they are sending a replacement (assuming my warranty is proven valid - bought through overstock through ebay).

Back