Replacing Submersible Pump Control Box Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RizFromTheWiz

Reaction score
Hi
I bought the house 6 months ago and today noticed a leak in one pipe coming through the control box. I am totally unfamiliar with the well pump system/function. Attaching the pictures to explain the setup.
It seems from the Control Box there is a pipe going to the wall , that i believe is connected to the water pump or something. This pipe is carrying power wires but it is leaking from the middle. First i do not understand why wire carrying pipe will have water in it ? but anyways now i need to replace the pipe.

I was thinking, after turning off the braker , unplug the wires (coming from pipe) then cut the pipe from from other end and slide off the wires. Put new pipe pass the wires from it and patch the one end from where i cut and plug the wires back in to the control box. But i am not sure if this is the right thing to do, if i can cut the pipe , or this pipe is something else. Regardless it needs to be replaced since it is leaving.

This is my first post to this forum, i would really appreciate if someone can guide me with this please. I am comfortable doing some normal plumbing work & simple electric work dont want to spend $$$ by calling someone to come and fix it.

Please help.
Thank you All.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 4
The electrical conduit should not have water in it. Where is the water coming from?

Its likley ground water seeping into the conduit. Shouldn't be happening. There are ways to keep this from happening or you can use wire made for underground use. But pulling that type of wire through a conduit would be very difficult unless you enlarge the conduit.

The electrical conduit should not have water in it. Where is the water coming from?

Its likley ground water seeping into the conduit. Shouldn't be happening. There are ways to keep this from happening or you can use wire made for underground use. But pulling that type of wire through a conduit would be very difficult unless you enlarge the conduit.
Thanks for your reply. I have no clue where this water is coming from, as you said probably ground water seeping in.
This conduit seems like a metal 1 3/4 pipe.
I was thinking to turn off the breaker, unplug the wires from junction box then cut it from the other end as show in the picture 5.jpg. slide of the wires, pass through the cables from new 1 3/4 copper or PEX pipe pass through the cables from it and then connect the initially cut end together using SharkBite. Is this do able ? or i cannot cut the copper conduit pipe with copper cutter ? If thats not the way to do it, what would you suggest ?
Thanks for helping with this.

I would turn off the power. Undo the wire nuts and unscrew the terminals inside of the box. Pull the wire from the LB shown in picture 5. Fasten a box to the wall. Then run new conduit and repull the wire.

They make a type of putty that will seal the conduit where it goes through the wall. There are also rubber plugs that let wire pass through them. But I don't think you'll be able to get the rubber to seal off you can't tighten it in place.

This is what I would do. 16168724987647433766128285220788.jpg

I would turn off the power. Undo the wire nuts and unscrew the terminals inside of the box. Pull the wire from the LB shown in picture 5. Fasten a box to the wall. Then run new conduit and repull the wire.

They make a type of putty that will seal the conduit where it goes through the wall. There are also rubber plugs that let wire pass through them. But I don't think you'll be able to get the rubber to seal off you can't tighten it in place.

This is what I would do. View attachment 28839
I really appreciate all your help and guideline. I have ordered new LB hopefully will get it in next week. Thanks millions.

This is what I would do. View attachment 28839
I just received the new LB i ordered of the same model and same specs, but from inside it look bit different. Old one has no black motor in it but the new one has black motor in it. Are they both same ? can i replace old one with new ?
Pictures attached. Please advise.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 3
See if the water level in the well is so high it is coming through the conduit? You may have a flowing well and the conduit needs to be sealed off to stop the flow.
I just received the new LB i ordered of the same model and same specs, but from inside it look bit different. Old one has no black motor in it but the new one has black motor in it. Are they both same ? can i replace old one with new ?

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure we're following each other. The LB is on the other end. I said I would replace that with a PVC box like I showed in my picture. Leave the box with the electrical connections, just unhook them.

I'm not sure we're following each other. The LB is on the other end. I said I would replace that with a PVC box like I showed in my picture. Leave the box with the electrical connections, just unhook them.
Understood.
Attached is the picture of LB that is on the other end of the conduit coming from the control box.
Probably wires from the LB going out to the well pump.
Assuming this LB is used to pass through the wires properly through the wall. So what you are suggesting is simply unscrew the current LB as well and slide the wires out. Put new LB and new Conduit and seal LB as well so water don't come to the conduit pipe again ?

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 2
Kind of. If you can do it that way then yes that'd be good. I wasn't sure you'd have luck replacing the LB. So instead using a box like the one in the picture could help. But either way seal the bit that penetrates the concrete wall.

Your old control box was jumpered to use a two wire motor. The new control box is for a three wire motor.

Back