Replacing Shower Tub Kit DIY

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taclark22

Reaction score
Hello,

We are replacing our shower head, handle and faucet. However, our diverter valve is currently on the shower handle. We can only find sets with diverter valves on the faucet at our local hardware store. I can't even find many handles with diverters on Amazon. Would it still work if we bought a set with the diverter on the faucet? Would we have to do anything additional to make this change?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 15853157229107760228480876609814.jpg
    15853157229107760228480876609814.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
If that is a Delta shower diverter you could contact them and see if you can get new trim for it. I dont know of a place that just sells new trim kits but that doesnt mean they dont. I am a plumber so i would get a new diverter and change everything

That appears to be a standard Delta shower valve. National plumbing codes now require pressure/temperature balancing shower valves, which is likely why you are not finding a diverter on the valve itself. It appears that all new shower valves with a diverter are using a separate valve with a separate handle for that function.
When you refer to the "faucet" I believe that you are referring to what is called the "tub spout". Tub spouts are commonly available with a pull up (or pull down) diverter. That is much less expensive than installing a new valve with a separate diverter valve handle. Don't buy a cheap tub spout. Your photo shows that yours is corroded from your water. Cheap won't last long.

remove the screw that holds the handle on
then remove the 2 screws on the face plate
pull the faceplate off and take a picture
lets get a looky look in there2020-03-28_0913.png

your photo shows a diverter in that valve
And I think that is a delta 636-c if not mistaken

you might just buy a tub spout with diverter

Is that divertor broken. That can be replaced. Get it opened up so we can see like Frodo suggested.

Back