Replacing Screw on Spout with Slip On Spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfeigels

Reaction score
I thought this would be an easy task but I can't quite get this to work. I have two approaches.

1) As you can see from the photo, the old corroded pipe came out with the spout as it was practically welded to the spout with corrosion. So I got a new pipe, installed it, then removed the insert from the new spout and just screwed it on. Seems to work, but there's a dripping from the base of the spout when the shower is on...so some water is backflowing somehow.

2) In the second photo I have used a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer and a 1/4 pipe to slip on the new spout. Once tightened, everything looks great. Except when the shower is running there is a lot of back flow coming out of the base of the spout at the wall. I have since learned that brass is a poor choice for this kind of connection....so maybe #1 is best if I can stop the dripping.

I'm happy with either option...just can't figure out how to keep the water where I want it! I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 6
Stub your 1/2” threads 1/2” out of the wall

Apply Teflon to the male threads

Screw the adapter on that comes with the spout.

Apply a bead of caulk to the spout where it will contact the wall.

Screw the spout onto the adapter until it’s pointing straight down and is snug against the wall.

Cleanup and smooth caulk.

All finished.,

Lifetime warranty from Delta

Works GREAT and it’s EASY.

I like the slip fit spouts that go on copper. You could take a copper male adaptor and solder a piece of copper
in and screw it in. Take your brass nipple out. If the male adaptor sticks out past the wall any you can't do it
because the spout will hit it. You would need a 1/2 slip fit spout for copper.

Back