Replacing Old Bathtub Handle and Trim, help with diverter and plate type

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caztroy8

Reaction score
We recently had our bathtub retiled and hoped to update the handle/trim ourselves but have run into some complications. We're working with an old, traditional mixing valve with a pull-out handle (pics attached). At this point, we will be happy with any kind of replacement that will not require removing the new tile. I'm far from an expert w/ anything plumbing, so hoping for some help or recommendations!

1) Our diverter pull is located directly above the bathtub valve but it seems that trims with this layout are nearly nonexistent. What are our options for replacement? Probably a silly question, but are we able to simply screw off our diverter stem and replace with a spout that contains the diverter?

2) Our tile was installed close to the valve, so plates with a convex inner shape (like our existing one) will Shower Pic 1.jpgnot fit.

3) My initial plan was to stick with our current valve (works perfectly fine) and just get a new handle/trim. But it seems like nearly all faucets are made for pressure-balanced or thermostatic valves. So should I plan on changing the type of valve also?

Attachments

• Shower Pic 4.jpg
    Shower Pic 4.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Shower Pic 3.jpg
    Shower Pic 3.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 2
  • Shower Pic 2.jpg
    Shower Pic 2.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 3
You should have replaced and modernized the valve, before re-tiling the shower.

Meanwhile, it looks like you have created a rectangular cutout, when you actually need a round one, to allow the trim plate to properly recess into the wall.

So you will need to cut the tiles that are already installed.
While they are installed, which is difficult.
Seems like poor planning.

You could probably make those tile cuts with a Roto-zip tool.
It is similar to a small router.

If you want to change the whole valve, you will need to tear out a fairly large area of tile, and then repair the wall and re-tile the damaged area, unless you can get to the valve from the back side.

Last edited:
Looks like you've built the barn without doors and now want to use it. :(
Any chance of access from behind, as though a bedroom wall? To replace valve.
Or...get an angle grinder and cut the tile to be able to use the old trim.
Maybe somebody will recognize the logo on the handle.
I've been doing this for 40 years and have had a number of these "OH SH#T" situations.
There's nothing that you can do without altering the tile.

Yeah, certain events led us to where we are, including poor advice from our tile guy. Whoops! There is an access panel through adjacent room, I’ll check whether it gets us entirely to pipe/valve.

Meanwhile, are handles for current valve basically no longer available? What about trim plates that don’t recess into wall?

Thanks for advice so far!

You will have to identify the brand and model of your existing shower valve.

If no one on here recognizes it, then take a few more pictures from different angles and closer up, and go to a local plumbing supply house to try to identify it.
If they do, then call that manufacturer and ask about new trim kits that fit your old valve.

The pros at places like that will often know it by sight.

Or post your pics and question on other plumbing forums, such as Terry Love Plumbing.

You should have the tile installer come back and fix the tile to use the old trim. If not able todo that... a 4" angle grinder with a diamond disk carefully applied would do the job. You can get a cheapy from Harbor Freight for under $20 and the diamond cutting wheel rather inexpensively. Mark the size of the trim plate and cut inside the line 3/4" or so inside the line. Remember ...you can always cut "more"...you CANNOT cut "less"!
I doubt seriously that you can find a "flush" trim by looking at your pictures.

>> Remember ...you can always cut "more"...you CANNOT cut "less"!
I always heard the carpenter's version: You can always cut it shorter, but you can't cut it longer.

NO FLUSH TRIM AVAILABLE>
If you can't get the idiot tilesetter back, most of us plumbers own mini-grinders with diamond blades. Just hire one who has experience. but frankly, we are way more expensive than a tilesetter.
That is an old Grohe Euromix shower valve. The model valve is 33.415
It is a terrible designed valve and should have been replaced when you had the chance. Don't waste any more time with that valve.
If you want part numbers I can post them but the entire valve's parts are obsolete!

Back