Replacing Moentrol Shower Adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiestaHW

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has a bright idea. I'm trying to replace the shower trim and got stuck with the Moentrol shower adapter. The single screw that kept the plastic on there won't come out. I don't want to damage the valve but need the screw out in order to replace. The screwdriver with wrench didn't work and neither did 2 wrenches. Any ideas?PXL_20210606_013300928.MP.jpgPXL_20210606_013253977.MP.jpg

Ditto, those stems are easy to find, easy to replace, will be a little tricky getting out, make sure you flush using the integral stops and clear the cylinder once out, the rubber seals can sometimes break inside and leave bits.

Thanks for the help. I'm having trouble removing the cartridge. I bought a new cartridge and have the removal tool piece but it's not budging. WD-40 is not helping either. Must be rusted really good in there. Any other tips for removal?

The removal tool I have requires the screw to be removed from the stem. That’s a problem for you.

WD-40 causes orings to expand. Not good. The orings expanding over time is why the cartridge won’t come out. You didn’t do it with the wd40 but it won’t help.....It can’t get to the problem as there are multiple o rings on the cartridge.

I suppose you’re using the white plastic tool that’s used to rotate the cartridge in the valve body then you pull it out with pliers, if you’re lucky.

At this point if the valve is anchored in the wall very well, grab the stem with channel locks or visegrips and yank it straight out.

Sometines it takes tremendous force pulling straight out. Sometimes the inner stem comes out leaving the shell of the cartridge.

There’s another tool that’s sold that locks into the shell if this happens. Some use an easy out extractor at this point. Care must be taken or the valve body can be ruined.

It’s not exactly easy is it ?

Good luck brother 👍

1) turn off the water
2) remove the clip that holds the cartridge in place
3) take a needle nose plyers and inset into tube of the cartridge and twist
4) then grab cartridge and pull .
5) replace cartridge.

It seems obvious, but make sure you remove the clip, or the cartridge will be locked in.

Back