Replacing leaking cast iron with PVC or ABS?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsss

Reaction score
My main sewer line is above ground, hung at about 4 feet. I noticed a rust growth in one place and it seems to be slowly leaking there, judging by the rust spots under it.
I've seen conflicting information that a replacement must be by "like" material, yet many many guides on replacing CI with PVC.
So would I be ok with cutting a section of CI out to replace with PVC?
Would I be better off with ABS?
Using metal jacket fernco couplers?
Should I take out as much of CI as possible, or just large enough section to comfortably grab with ferncos?

I've seen people slap epoxy there, so that might be a short term fix as well?

Thank you!

Many jurisdictions do not allow plastic pipe exposed on exterior.
The reasons are varied, primarily, even painted weather and uv light tends to hasten deterioration.
There are special shielded adapter no hub couplings for modern cast iron pipe to plastic. Old style cast iron has wider range O.D. so not always a direct match for those special transition couplings.
The transition couplings can be a challenge to fold over to allow inserting new pipe into place.
Paste epoxy may get you a good amount of extended use.

I always prefer PVC pipe over ABS. As far as transitioning I always use the extra heavy no hub couplings. I used to used ferncos with sheer bands but have found the extra heavy to to hold and grip fairly well

My main sewer line is above ground, hung at about 4 feet. I noticed a rust growth in one place and it seems to be slowly leaking there, judging by the rust spots under it.
I've seen conflicting information that a replacement must be by "like" material, yet many many guides on replacing CI with PVC.
So would I be ok with cutting a section of CI out to replace with PVC?
Would I be better off with ABS?
Using metal jacket fernco couplers?
Should I take out as much of CI as possible, or just large enough section to comfortably grab with ferncos?

I've seen people slap epoxy there, so that might be a short term fix as well?

Thank you!
Use sch 40 solid core pvc and the stainless shielded rubber couplings to transition between different types of pipe.

Back