Replacing Kitchen Sink, double basin to single

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very new to this and I'm planning on replacing my double basin sink with a single basin. I think I have most of it figured out but my concern is that I will have to remove the joint connected to the wall draining because it will pertrude too far for the garbage disposal when it is moved into the center. The joint is attached very close to the wall and if I cut it there will be very little pvc remaining to attach the new coupling.

Is this something a fernco could help?

I have attached pictures of the current setup and the joint in question.

Thanks!

20221204_171337.jpg20221204_161858.jpg20221204_171344.jpg20221204_183802.jpg20221204_183804.jpg20221204_183807.jpg

After you remove the sink and screwed fittings, cut off the hub of the wye that is attached to the pipe coming through the wall. You can then use a hacksaw or an oscillating multitool to carefully peel off the hub material from the pipe. Be careful not to cut into the pipe, and finish removing the hub material with a file, mouse sander, sanding block, etc. You should then be able to glue a new fitting onto that pipe,

The wall outlet is currently 2". Only 1-1/2" is ever needed for kitchen sink.
So, a 2 x 1-1/2" bushing would get glued in once you have the 2" pipe stub ground out.

The wall outlet is currently 2". Only 1-1/2" is ever needed for kitchen sink.
So, a 2 x 1-1/2" bushing would get glued in once you have the 2" pipe stub ground out.
Yep, here you go again catching me in an oops. I didn't notice the pipe size change.

But if this is a DIYer, he probably doesn't have a "fitting saver". So. peeling off the hub of the wye would likely be his best option, then installing a coupling with a 2" x 1-1/2" bushing as you suggested. But I guess he could purchase a "fitting saver for this one job and keep it if something comes up in the future.

Thanks for all the help. I'm leaning towards going with the 2" fitting saver tool and then a 2" to 1 1/2" coupling or bushing (is one option better than the other). Also, will I need to add an AAV for ventilation since I'm going to a single basin?

This doesn't appear to be an island, so there is likely a vent pipe inside the wall going up to the main vent stack. After you cut off the pipe, you should be able to see that the fitting hub you see at the wall is a Sanitee, with the top being the vent.

So, no you wouldn't need an AAV.

This doesn't appear to be an island, so there is likely a vent pipe inside the wall going up to the main vent stack. After you cut off the pipe, you should be able to see that the fitting hub you see at the wall is a Sanitee, with the top being the vent.

So, no you wouldn't need an AAV.
Perfect! Thanks, I am very new to this and wanted to double check. Learning all this is very interesting.

That might be an arm in the wall to the vent. So that fitting in the wall may be a 90 ell.

That might be an arm in the wall to the vent. So that fitting in the wall may be a 90 ell.
There is a cleanout located immediately above where the drain goes into the wall, so I'm thinking the drain fitting is a Sanitee and the cleanout is for the drain and the vent line.

Back