Replacing Handles & Faucet on Roman Tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike81

Reaction score
I'm currently remodeling my bathroom. I want to change the handles and faucet on the roman tub. The house was built about 20 years ago and has Moen on it now. Someone told me it is not possible to change just the trim, handles and faucet. They said I had to replace the valves and so on under the tub. I don't believe this for a minute, but I could be wrong. How do I find out what would fit it?

2012-11-26_03-32-40_124.jpg

2012-11-26_03-33-08_421.jpg

You should be able to do that, but to find a kit that will match a 20 year old faucet is usually the tricky part. I've worked on faucets that are 10-15 yrs old and you can't get parts for them. However since its moen it could be possible. Best bet is to call the 1800 moen number.

I know there are universal handles. Would they work on this or does it just depend? I know the trim pieces under the handles are the same size as at least one of the Moen kits at Home Depot. So I know I can get pieces to fit there. Here is the piece that screws into the part in the 2nd picture in the first post.

2012-12-01_17-50-45_207.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I've worked on those before. Universal would probably work mike but I've personally never replaced trim on those old moens. Plus usually universal trim is garbage. And I haven't installed a new moen roman tub faucet to see if the design is similar. Maybe your best bet is to bring some old trim with you and go to a plumbing wholesaler showroom and see if they can find a match. If I came across this at someone's house that's what I would do. I think it is plausible to get new trim to fit/find a match but you may have to order it in and wait a bit.

Called Moen today. They sent me an email that shows what to look for. It turns out I can replace mine without replacing the valves. I just have to buy kit 106378 to make it work with any new Moen product.

Latest posts

Back