Replacing an InSinkErator ISE Badger 5 garbage disposal with an ISE Evolution Compact

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coplumbo

Reaction score
According to the InSinkErator (ISE) website, there are no issues involved with replacing an ISE Badger 5 garbage disposal with an ISE Evolution Compact model. See: How to Replace a Badger Garbage Disposal with Evolution Compact - InSinkErator

But, according to the corresponding manuals, the Badger 5 has a 5" distance from the vertical centerline of the disposal to the vertical centerline of attachment pipe. That measurement for the Evolution Compact is 5.75".

The sink is a double-sink so there is a horizontal PVC pipe that doesn't stretch!

Why is ISE claiming they are interchangeable, and how can they be interchanged without replacing other pipes?

Also, what's up with the discoloration of the dishwasher hose? Does it need to be replaced?

Photos of the existing installation with the ISE Badger 5 that failed and resulted in some unfortunate flooding:

garbagedisposal.jpg

garbagedisposal2.jpg

Last edited:
You’ll just need to shorten the outlet 90 pipes vertical length. That’s all...it’ll be a simple install.

You’ll just need to shorten the outlet 90 pipes vertical length. That’s all...it’ll be a simple install.

Thanks, but the issue I'm concerned about is the horizontal difference between the output end of the new 90 degree elbow that will exit the new garbage disposal and the top of the existing vertical drain pipe (the T).

The vertical axis of the connection is just 1/16" of an inch more for the Evolution Compact, so I'm guessing that ISE considers that close enough to just muscle it together. Or will a 1/16" difference require a pipe cut/shave?

Last edited:
Thanks, but the issue I'm concerned about is the horizontal difference between the output end of the new 90 degree elbow that will exit the new garbage disposal and the top of the existing vertical drain pipe (the T).

The vertical axis of the connection is just 1/16" of an inch more for the Evolution Compact, so I'm guessing that ISE considers that close enough to just muscle it together. Or will a 1/16" difference require a pipe cut/shave?
You are over thinking it. The trap arm can swing as well as the disposer.

You are over thinking it. The trap arm can swing as well as the disposer.

Not quite sure what is meant by "swing". The disposal can rotate, but the vertical axis of the disposal will be fixed according to the flange on the sink basin.

You can replace the continuous waste with the disposal and it will definitely fit

He means just buy the disposal it’ll fit fine.

Be careful with the electrical portion, it can kill you, it’s dangerous

Back