Replacing a TOTO filling valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good2all

Reaction score
A TOTO CST854 doesn't stop the filling periodically, when it happens, shutting off the water supply for a few hours and turning it back on does the trick, so time to replace the filling valve. I thought it would be an easy job until I found that the out-of-box filling valve is secured with a plastic lock nut (as shown in the picture), the awkward shape of the bowl design and the tight space around the toilet make it impossible to loose the lock nut without a special tool. I think a plumbing socket ranch should do the work.

does anyone here know where I can get the plumbing socket ranch, or whatever the tool which can loose the stupid plastic nut? I am in GTA area. Or is there a way to fix the out-of-box filling valve? searching on youtube didn't find any matches

thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4136 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4136 Medium.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4142 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_4142 Medium.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1
Your basic sockets set in the plumbing isle for removing faucet stems has a size that works for that. Most of the time though, I use standard water pump pliers. The jaws open wide enough to fit over the nut. The pliers fit over vertically, not to the horizontal.
Pretty much any fill valve will work. Korky 528T and Fluidmaster Performax

reed-pliers.jpg

thanks for the reply. I already bought Korky 528T

you can tell from the picture that the fill valve/lock nut location is somewhat indented in, so can't fit a jaw plier horizontally; the water pipe/valve is right under the nut location as well, which only leaves about 4-5 inches room, so can't fit the jaw plier vertically either. that's why I think the only hope is a socket ranch, but I couldn't find the size of the nut. I found and bought this set from Amazon, but the size is too big.

What would be the size of the lock nut/socket? 1.5in? or it is somehow a standard size and Home depot associate will be recommending the right socket for me?

Still don't understand why TOTO makes this so difficult.

Attachments

• 61k+71k5CLL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61k+71k5CLL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
I change them all the time with pliers. Not bragging, just fact.

Back