replacing 3 wire with 2 wire which color goes where

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap

Reaction score
single phase half hp.

Power line has Black red yellow vs the new pump has 2 black wires. Red or yellow goes to the second black? (bypassing the control box).

Sorry 'bout the confused question. Yesterday was um.. complicated.

Plumbing supply house said 'nobody does 3wire anymore for a single house' okay fine. I asked specifically if wiring up the new pump was straightforward color for color connections for the remaining two wires (Not a plumber or an electrician... just a retired I.T. person here) the guy said yes... so I get the box opened and.... one green and two black wires.

My assumption is that the two black don't matter, i.e. can't be reversed, so i eliminated the control box and the red wire and connected the power white and black to the two black pump wires.

I guess I'll find out when I turn on the power if I did something wrong.

IMAG6578.jpg

Last edited:
Two power wires to the black wires on the motor. Green is ground. It would be better if you changed the wire to 12-2 with ground. That takes the confusion out of the equation. Pressure switch is between the power and motor wires. Reversing the two blacks does nothing. The motor will still turn the right way.

Back