replacement springs too short

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHHHat

Reaction score
I replaced the seats and springs to fix a leak from the tub spout (2 handle, wall mount with shower). After about 2 weeks, the drip started again.

Thing is, the old springs were about 1/64” longer and less “springy” than the replacement springs. The seats looked identical. Maybe the pressure against the seats isn’t enough with shorter springs?

I got the set for Delta because they looked the same in the package, but I don’t know what brand ours actually is. There are no logos or model numbers, and the fixtures came with the house (22 years ago).

I ordered an assortment of replacement spring/seat sets for different brands that looked promising, but none of those match the old springs, either.

Can I custom order springs that might match my setup? Or can I MacGyver something so the spring’s length & firmness is right? Would twisting two Delta springs together to get the right length work?

I’d get a new faucet set, but the pipes are deep behind a tiled wall, and from what I can tell, would mean pipe work to fit the length of standard-mount fixtures. Too much for my skillz...

Can you show pics it might be a deltex I think the springs were longer and skinnier you can also bring original springs and seats to a plumbing supply house they are usually very helpful and have seen alot

Sadly, originals are gone now—I tossed them after a week with no leaks, not knowing it’d take another week to find out 1/64” probably mattered. But for now I’ll look into Deltex and cross my fingers. Thanks!

Sadly, originals are gone now—I tossed them after a week with no leaks, not knowing it’d take another week to find out 1/64” probably mattered. But for now I’ll look into Deltex and cross my fingers. Thanks!
Take a pic of the faucet, bring it to a plumbing supply house they're usually pretty good

thanks all. to clarify, the long Delta springs in the picture are exactly what i used to replace the old ones that had been in place 22+ years, and they leak.

the old ones were barely longer (maybe the thickness of the wire of the spring?) and had less give than current delta/peerless replacement springs. i thought they were identical until i was holding them side-by-side.

Did you get Danco knockoff springs and seals?

Buy a package of genuine Delta springs and seals.

Then make sure you clean out minerals in the valve body with paper towels soaked in vinegar, then rinse with water, leave no lint or scraps behind.

Goop everything up with a thin coat of plumbers’ silicone valve grease then re-assemble.

Back