Replacement of State Select Automatic Storage Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhblackbear

Reaction score
Hello,

My condo has a State Select Automatic Storage Water Heater.

Model No.: PRX50NRRTL5W

Serial No.: D01301722

It serves both the faucets and the baseboards. It's a bit undersized to keep the area warm when it's below 20 degrees outside. However, I'm ok with that because the inside temperature only drops to 65.

Given a choice, I would like to replace this unit with a brand new one of the same style and system. I'm looking for the $1000 solution of doing it ourselves versus the $5000 to $6000 solution of a major overhaul.

(I don't have the soldering and plumbing skills, but my relatives do)

There are 144 units in the condo. Folks are upgrading with all manner of methods prescribed by different plumbing companies. They are cutting into adjoining closets to separate the hot water of the baseboards and the faucets. I agree wholeheartedly that it's the right way to do it.

But again, if I can just use the same system as before, it works, and that's good enough for me. I put in a request to State Water Heaters to see if they have a 2011 model of what I have. We'll see what they come back with.

In the mean time, I would like to hear what you folks suggest. It's a little scary because different plumbers have dramatically different opinions. Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks!

Most times it is best to see what the layout of the unit is before giving an opinion. That is, of course, hard to do over the internet even if photos are attached. The forum has it's limitations but could give some advice or guide you in the right direction.
With the number of options available today to retro-fit houses, apartments and condos with heat and hot water, you will find a variety of opinions. Don't let that intimidate you. Use the information on designs as a tool to lead you to what you need. Talk to your neighbors to find out what pros and cons they have experienced with their set ups. First hand experience is the best information for making a decision.
Also, if cost is the greatest concern and State has a match for the existing unit I don't see what the harm would be. Sometimes local codes and condo association rules require updating and carry restrictions as to what can be installed, so be sure to look into it before making the purchase.

Back