Replaced fill valve, dripping ceiling and washer faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarby

Reaction score
Last night I replaced the fill valve and flapper in an upstairs toilet with a fluid master. There was no leaking from underneath the valve or any water visible on the floor around the shut off valve. IT was however, running water every couple of minutes.

This morning I awoke to find my bird's food bowl downstairs filled with water, the water is not directly below the toilet, but coming from around a heating vent. The ceiling is damp around the vent as well.

Also, the hot water hose to my washing machine was leaking at the machine, not the faucet. I just moved in last week and hadn't had a problem until now, a coincidence?

If it could be related, my shower only gets luke-warm. The sink faucets will dispense HOT water.

This is an apartment so, I can call the manager if anything is terribly wrong... and I may just put the old fill valve back on and call anyway.

I'm at work now, but i've turned the water off at the toilet and both washing machine faucets.

Any ideas?

I just have to ask why would you be messing with a toilet belonging to someone else if you are just a renter? What would happen if you goofed on an installation and flooded his entire complex? Pick up the phone immediately and call the manager!

You are right, I should have just called. It seemed like an easy fix however and my place is still a mess with boxes, etc. I thought it'd be easier to do it myself.
I will definitely give them a call now though.
The shower has been like that since I moved in though, so it is probably an unrelated issue. As I have read, possibly an obstruction in the hot water pipe to the shower.

I would have done the same as you did, but this may be the only perk of being a renter, and why not take advantage of it...that is unless he will deduct some rent for making the necessary repairs. If this is the case, come on back and we will help you through all the problems!

Well, I have "fixed" the hot water in the shower... just turned the water heater up. So, I can take hot showers, but the rest of the house has hotter water than it should. I was just trying to save a couple bucks in energy costs. ;)

Latest posts

Back