Replaced cartridge-now only water is leaky showerhead

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZhenyaH

Reaction score
Had no hot water. Replaced Glacier Bay cartridge. Now, shower handle turns-no water, except a fast drip from shower. Any suggestions

Either incorrect cartridge, installed upside down, you left something inside, or you failed to do a quick flush of the valve body before reinstalling cartridge. I'm sure more folks will chime in, but without seeing pics, this is only a guess.

Geofd meant to say, take the shower head off, and see if water comes out of the shower arm.
Sorry Geofd, just trying to clarify.

Some shower heads have very tiny flow restrictors.

A tiny water passage that is easily plugged up.

You might have dislodged minerals or rust when you worked on the cartridge.

Either incorrect cartridge, installed upside down, you left something inside, or you failed to do a quick flush of the valve body before reinstalling cartridge. I'm sure more folks will chime in, but without seeing pics, this is only a guess.
Thank you. I'm new at this. I bought a replacement cartridge-this is a stupid question, but are there supposed to be springs and gaskets between the outer cartridge and the casing? Here's a picture of the old parts. I don't think the new part (RP70538 ) came with these...I thought I'd ask before I disassemble it for the 5th time :) Thanks!

Attachments

• 16284522974691599183476317103022.jpg
    16284522974691599183476317103022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
I am not familiar with Glacier Bay junk, but there might be a pressure balancing unit that also needs to be replaced, deeper inside the valve.

I agree-junk! I may get brave and replace everything if this gets figured out. Thanks!

Geofd meant to say, take the shower head off, and see if water comes out of the shower arm.
Sorry Geofd, just trying to clarify.

Some shower heads have very tiny flow restrictors.

A tiny water passage that is easily plugged up.

You might have dislodged minerals or rust when you worked on the cartridge.
No worries sometime I know what I'm saying ......but no one else does🤔🤔🤔

Thank you. I'm new at this. I bought a replacement cartridge-this is a stupid question, but are there supposed to be springs and gaskets between the outer cartridge and the casing? Here's a picture of the old parts. I don't think the new part (RP70538 ) came with these...I thought I'd ask before I disassemble it for the 5th time :) Thanks!
I THINK I GOT IT! There wereno seats and springs with the cartridge I ordered. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks all!

Thank you. I'm new at this. I bought a replacement cartridge-this is a stupid question, but are there supposed to be springs and gaskets between the outer cartridge and the casing?

Here is a complete picture according to a listing on ebay. There should be two tapered springs. There is also a small O-ring whose purpose I have not determined. If worst comes to worse, just put a plastic flow control valve between the shower outlet and head, until you can get the complete cartridge kit.

Attachments

• glacier_bay_rp70538.jpg
    glacier_bay_rp70538.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1
Here is a complete picture according to a listing on ebay. There should be two tapered springs. There is also a small O-ring whose purpose I have not determined. If worst comes to worse, just put a plastic flow control valve between the shower outlet and head, until you can get the complete cartridge kit.
Thanks Mark!

Latest posts

Back