replace outdoor garden faucet - need to rip out wall?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DallasTX

Reaction score
glad to find this great forum. I seem to have corrupted the grooves of the outdoor garden faucet, so no hose or adapter fits without major leaking.

This problem was caused by a cheap garden hose purchased from a major retailer that begins with W. The faucet end of the hose was screwed to the very top of the grooves and worked well for weeks with no leakage whatsoever, so I was quite happy about that.

However, when attempting to remove the hose in favor of a soaker hose the connector was solidly stuck. I applied WD40 and spent some time wrestling with the cheaply made metal connector to remove it. In the process, I’m afraid that the faucet grooves may have been damaged.

I’m sure that to remove the groove section (water spout section) requires the removal of the entire structure meaning tearing down the brickwork and going into the wall. Very intense work and costly to hire a plumber and perhaps a brick mason too.

I tried to attach a connector device but it doesn’t fit properly and goes on sideways. I have another outdoor faucet in the back yard which attaches perfectly to this plastic connector.

Pic below shows the leak from the crookedly connected plastic adapter.

I then tried a metallic brass adapter which worked a little better but still had leaks; problem there is that it didn’t screw past just 2 or 3 grooves – implying that somewhere on the faucet grooves we have corruption that originated from my wrestling match to get the cheap hose header out. The brass connector also had leaks from the midsection where it attached to the hose but the plastic adapter did not have the midsection leak, only from the top.

So what am I to do? Is there some device attachment that will catch all the water and funnel it into the pipe? Or do I have to tear my wall down?

Thanks for any advice!

v3epfb.jpg

iz5hcp.jpg

2cr1qtw.jpg

2dbrsj5.jpg

2n8acs3.jpg

i6cykp.jpg

2zi1utu.jpg

thanks, i'm not familiar with the terminology.. so threads means 'grooves' I presume. Been at this house for 5 years and used a few hoses fine until the cheap hose connector stuck and hand to be manhandled to take off - whereby I presume I damaged the threads/grooves. It's disappointing the way it's built where to replace I presume the brick has to be opened up. Something so small turns into a massive project.

When you removed the original hose, the reason it came off so hard is because you removed the permanent vacuum breaker with the hose. Oops! The faucet is now unusable without replacing the fine thread vacuum breaker. Unfortunately the one you removed is not common. I carry some with me because I run in to them often when DIY clients call me to fix their faucet because they can not find parts to fit. Look to your local plumbing supply stores for a fine thread vacuum breaker.

In the future remember hoses come off fairly easy with a pliers if necessary. If more force is required, STOP! Check further and make sure you are removing the correct part.

I agree with SHR. The fine threads on the faucet are from removing a factory installed Vacuum breaker. That type hose bib is generally call a SILL COCK (Google images). Some have an integrated long extension, but most just screw onto threaded end of a pipe.

You won't have to tear open the wall to replace. It should just unscrew from the wall.

Be forewarned , If the supply pipe wasn't properly installed and secured, you may twist or damage something inside the wall.

Should be an easy replacement for Professional.

SHR thanks! your analysis was exact.

the old fine-threaded vacuum breaker was retrieved from the trash along with the old hose. The bottom part of the breaker was still attached to the golden top of the hose, which was my problem initially. So, I managed to remove the old 2 parts (unusable due to thread stripping by my pliers) and got a replacement (which was one-piece) from HD for $27 after taxes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-Fine-Thread-Self-Draining-Vacuum-Breaker-in-Chrome-PK1390/202579291

Decided to attach the plastic adapter since i'm wary of metal to metal contact, don't trust the soaker hose too much. So, now it's on and no leakage at all.

relieved a lot of stress as here in the TX 100F heat and drought the foundations are dying so the soaker hose is critical.

thanks to you and Mr. David !

1412xc1.jpg

70i7n6.jpg

That is an arrowhead frost proof faucet. The vacume breaker is missing. You will have to go to local plumbing supply and buy one.

glad to find this great forum. I seem to have corrupted the grooves of the outdoor garden faucet, so no hose or adapter fits without major leaking.

This problem was caused by a cheap garden hose purchased from a major retailer that begins with W. The faucet end of the hose was screwed to the very top of the grooves and worked well for weeks with no leakage whatsoever, so I was quite happy about that.

However, when attempting to remove the hose in favor of a soaker hose the connector was solidly stuck. I applied WD40 and spent some time wrestling with the cheaply made metal connector to remove it. In the process, I’m afraid that the faucet grooves may have been damaged.

I’m sure that to remove the groove section (water spout section) requires the removal of the entire structure meaning tearing down the brickwork and going into the wall. Very intense work and costly to hire a plumber and perhaps a brick mason too.

I tried to attach a connector device but it doesn’t fit properly and goes on sideways. I have another outdoor faucet in the back yard which attaches perfectly to this plastic connector.

Pic below shows the leak from the crookedly connected plastic adapter.

I then tried a metallic brass adapter which worked a little better but still had leaks; problem there is that it didn’t screw past just 2 or 3 grooves – implying that somewhere on the faucet grooves we have corruption that originated from my wrestling match to get the cheap hose header out. The brass connector also had leaks from the midsection where it attached to the hose but the plastic adapter did not have the midsection leak, only from the top.

So what am I to do? Is there some device attachment that will catch all the water and funnel it into the pipe? Or do I have to tear my wall down?
How to Hook up Utility Sink to Garden Hose? - GardenProfy
Thanks for any advice!

v3epfb.jpg

iz5hcp.jpg

2cr1qtw.jpg

2dbrsj5.jpg

2n8acs3.jpg

i6cykp.jpg

2zi1utu.jpg
Hi all. I am having the usual difficulty with getting a water hose to detach from the spigot. Just the standard stuff on the outside of any house. The part you tighten down (name?) on the hose, has apparently corroded to the spigot. It looks to me like the part on the hose, is made of some kind of aluminum. I should've known better than to leave that thing on there, this seems to happen every time.

But with a struggle, I've always been able to get them loose. Not this time. This time it's like I'm going to rip the spigot off the house if I keep it up. There's no concrete around the spigot, just a hole, which is something else that I'm unclear on how to fix. It's just sticking out of a hole in the brick. I sprayed some PB Blaster on there, 'cause it's all I've got here on hand at the house. Must've run out of WD-40 at some point.

I was hoping someone else here had one stuck on and knows how to deal with this problem. From now on I think I'll be using the plastic ones.

Hi all. I am having the usual difficulty with getting a water hose to detach from the spigot. Just the standard stuff on the outside of any house. The part you tighten down (name?) on the hose, has apparently corroded to the spigot. It looks to me like the part on the hose, is made of some kind of aluminum. I should've known better than to leave that thing on there, this seems to happen every time.

But with a struggle, I've always been able to get them loose. Not this time. This time it's like I'm going to rip the spigot off the house if I keep it up. There's no concrete around the spigot, just a hole, which is something else that I'm unclear on how to fix. It's just sticking out of a hole in the brick. I sprayed some PB Blaster on there, 'cause it's all I've got here on hand at the house. Must've run out of WD-40 at some point.

I was hoping someone else here had one stuck on and knows how to deal with this problem. From now on I think I'll be using the plastic ones.

Saw the hose fitting almost to the faucet threads. Insert a flat screwdriver and twist. This may open it up enough to unscrew or it may just break, either is good.

You could try to gently heat the hose fitting and it might unscrew. Too much heat will be counter productive. Just heat it hot enough so you can’t touch it.

Then try to unscrew it.

Latest posts

Back